Crash

Is Intense Anxiety/panic Attacks One Of Your Symptoms?

Rate this topic

Mine started about two years ago and progressed slowly to being very intense and nearly unbearable, to the point of having panic attacks in grocery stores. How long did it take for yours to resolve?

Panic Disorder is one of those things that, once it starts, it can feed on itself - even if the orginal cause or contributing factors are gone. Someone could have way too much caffeine one day and be in a meeting, have a panic attack, say to themselves: 'Omigosh that was AWFUL, what if it happens again, what if it happens at the store or at work again, I wouldn't be able to handle it, oh no...' etc., and then ANTICIPATORY ANXIETY kicks in, and the more we worry the more anxious we get and the more likely we may be to have another panic attack, then we have another one and the anticipatory worry increases even more, and on and on.

Giving up gluten may help. But if you've had a lot of panic attacks and can recognize a cycle of anticipatory anxiety and emotional/physical tension - then addressing the cycle may be required. A good therapist can teach you tips. If you have insurance call the 800 number on the back of your card for referrals and you probably only pay a copay or 80%. That's generally $10-30 per session and we're not talking a ton of sessions - if it's only Panic Disorder, usually it's less than 6 sessions. Look for someone who practices Cognitive Behavioral Therapy as research shows CBT is the most effective for anxiety.

There's also a book I recommend a lot - 'The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook' by New Harbinger Publications - you can find it online or on the shelves of most bookstores (most libraries even have it, but most people like to own it so they can write in it). However a book doesn't replace a neutral, trained person who can make the right diagnosis.

To add to my previous post - some employers have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for employees and spouses, and 4-6 counseling sessions are provided for FREE and names aren't given to employers of who uses the service. The HR or personnel office/website of the employer would have info if there is an EAP.