doolittle

New Person With Question

Rate this topic

I'm new to the board. I was incidently introduced to information on gluten. After much research I thought I was probable for Gluten sensitivity and/ or Celiac. I was scheduled for my first routine colonoscopy sceening. I requested a GI doctor that is educated in Celiac. His N.P. thought I was refluxing. The doctor did the colonoscopy, EGD with esophagus biopsy, and small intestine biopsy for celiac. I requested a copy of the results. The esophagus is positive for Barrett's Esophagus. The small bowel showed no evidence of celiac or malignancy. Then in the same section for small intestine it said See Note. The note said they used special stain Alcian blue PH 2.5 was performed and the results were positive, supporting the diagnosis. The preop diagnosis was Gluten sensitivity. Under clinical info -Questioning Barrett's. I have submitted a call to them. Does anyone know if this means I am positive- Sensitive to Gluten or Positive for Celiac, or neither. My follow up is not till late November. I need to go to the grocery, but I don't want to buy food I shouldn't eat. Yet, I don't want to start the Gluten free diet if it's not necessary either. Any one have experience with the stain information? Thank YOU.

The biopsy report sounds like it was postive. Often damage can not be seen with the naked eye so that is why they biopsy. I would go ahead and go gluten free you don't need to wait for the follow up as the testing for celiac is finished. You will likely find you get a great deal of relief even before you go back for the results. Start out with simple whole unprocessed foods and read as much as you can here as this is a great place for info and support. Some of us have an addiction to gluten which can make the first week or so difficult but it passes soon. If you have a Wegmans close by they label all their gluten-free food so they make shopping easy as you just look for the circle G. Other places may be starting to do this also. If you have any questions just ask or post for info on doing gluten free versions of your favorite foods.