deglutenated

gluten-free For 6 Weeks But Scheduled For Blood Test

Rate this topic

Hi, All,

Thanks ahead of time for all your help! I had been gluten-free for 6 weeks when my doc said he wanted me to eat gluten again and get a blood test for celiac. Is it possible I still have some antibodies? If I eat gluten for 2 week, will I have built them up enough? I've been eating gluten for 4 days now and feel absolutely horrible.

Thanks,

Aimee

The research organizations recommend 3-4 slices of bread or equivalent for 6-8 weeks.

If you are miserable, you might want to discuss with your doctor other means of diagnosis. A positive dietary response can be a diagnostic coupled with common symptoms. Gene testing is available. It won't tell you if you have Celiac, but it can tell you that you are not genetically predisposed to Celiac or other autoimmune conditions.

The research organizations recommend 3-4 slices of bread or equivalent for 6-8 weeks.

If you are miserable, you might want to discuss with your doctor other means of diagnosis. A positive dietary response can be a diagnostic coupled with common symptoms. Gene testing is available. It won't tell you if you have Celiac, but it can tell you that you are not genetically predisposed to Celiac or other autoimmune conditions.

Thanks, Lisa. :-)

Hi, All,

Thanks ahead of time for all your help! I had been gluten-free for 6 weeks when my doc said he wanted me to eat gluten again and get a blood test for celiac. Is it possible I still have some antibodies? If I eat gluten for 2 week, will I have built them up enough? I've been eating gluten for 4 days now and feel absolutely horrible.

Thanks,

Aimee

You really need to do all the weeks. I did six after being partially gluten-free, and doc still isn't sure if it was long enough. The gluten challenge weeks, oh my gosh, I was so sick. It was a nightmare.

A gluten challenge is HELL. I completely understand what you are going through. It will be over eventually, though, and even thought it might seem like a million years right now, it will be worth it, and it will be okay.

Hang in there, and please feel to PM me if you wish.

Question: Are you U.S. or Europe?

You really need to do all the weeks. I did six after being partially gluten-free, and doc still isn't sure if it was long enough. The gluten challenge weeks, oh my gosh, I was so sick. It was a nightmare.

A gluten challenge is HELL. I completely understand what you are going through. It will be over eventually, though, and even thought it might seem like a million years right now, it will be worth it, and it will be okay.

Hang in there, and please feel to PM me if you wish.

Question: Are you U.S. or Europe?

Hi, Lynayah,

I'm from the US. At this point, I don't really care if the test isn't good. I can't eat any more gluten. I'm just not going to. Thanks for your encouragement, though. Good fortune to you.

deglu

Hi, Lynayah,

I'm from the US. At this point, I don't really care if the test isn't good. I can't eat any more gluten. I'm just not going to. Thanks for your encouragement, though. Good fortune to you.

deglu

I totally understand. Actually, considering U.S. insurance and how they deny coverage sometimes, medical costs, etc., it might actually be the smartest thing to do, especially if you are super dedicated to not eating gluten, the same as if it were Celiac (just in case you do have an auto-immune disorder instead of being gluten-intolorant only).

I wish you all the best, and I wish you all success in your gluten-free journey. See you around the boards!

Thanks, Lynayah! :-)

You are very welcome! Sending a hug.

Lyn