Shess0816

Celiac And Berger's Disease

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anyone on here happens to have Berger's disease as well as Celiac's? My younger sister was diagnosed with Berger's (autoimmune disease affecting the kidneys) about 7 years ago and I'm about 95% convinced she probably has Celiac's as well. Has anyone heard of a connection between these two diseases or does anyone else have both? I'm trying to get my sis to start the gluten free diet to see if it helps her at all. I did a little research and found a couple of case studies where the patient had undiagnosed celiac's that seemed to have been a causative factor in the Berger's disease and once the patient was put on the gluten free diet almost all of the Berger's symptoms went away and their bloodwork/kidney numbers improved greatly. I'm just curious. Thanks!!

All I can say about this is that people who have one auto-immune disorder seem to have a much higher probability of suffering from more than one - for example, celiac disease and rheumatoid arthritis. So it wouldn't be too surprising for Berger's disease (which I confess I never heard of before) being accompanied by celiac disease (which is also an auto-immune disorder) in the same person, and there may be causal factors connecting them. This research is pretty recent.