This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Metallic Soy Sauce?

Mey Marie

Mey Marie Explorer

hi there all,

I found a wheat free soy sauce, and I was really excited that I would be able to do sushi with soy sauce again. I tried it out last night on some brown rice... It was soooooo bad. Like sucking on a penny. Left my mouth tasting dirty. I don't know how else to explain it. :lol: I have to laugh about it. This is the first time I have written on celiac.com about something that I wasn't about to cry over.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Guess I have to wonder if it was a bad bottle or the whole brand.

I like the San J brand but have had bad, almost rancid bottles of others

hi there all,

I found a wheat free soy sauce, and I was really excited that I would be able to do sushi with soy sauce again. I tried it out last night on some brown rice... It was soooooo bad. Like sucking on a penny. Left my mouth tasting dirty. I don't know how else to explain it. :lol: I have to laugh about it. This is the first time I have written on celiac.com about something that I wasn't about to cry over.

Mey Marie Explorer
Guess I have to wonder if it was a bad bottle or the whole brand.

I like the San J brand but have had bad, almost rancid bottles of others

where do you get San J brand..... aw man. That's the one I tried last night. I guess I should try it on WHITE rice before I write it off. I took it to a friends house because she was serving brown rice. I don't tend to eat a lot of brown rice. I will try again.

Are there any other brands you have liked.... that were not rancid? lol

Mey Marie Explorer

What other brands did you find that didn't taste bad? did you like any others? The brand you said you like is the one that just doesn't work for me.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Try Bragg Liquid Aminos if you don't like SanJ brand. La Choy soy sauce is gluten free.

It could be you have a Systemic yeast/Candida infection causing the funny taste. Very common with celiacs.

Mey Marie Explorer

Where do I find that brand?

tarnalberry Community Regular

I find the regular San-J tamari too strong, and use the reduced sodium variety. Tastes great to me. (I do keep it in the fridge, of course.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mey Marie Explorer

I couldn't find gluten free, in low sodium. I wish I could find a way to try them all without buying the entire bottle. It cost so much as it is, to be gluten free. <_< I will have to look some more for that one.

Oh and I am always good about keeping it in the refrigerator. It drives my hubby crazy. :P

kenlove Rising Star

your right the stuff is expensive -- I was buying it at the local grocery until I saw it at the health food store for $1. less.

We lao have San J in 2 sizes. I've not had the LaChoy in awhile since its not sold in my part of hawaii. I do have some other 100% soy brands from japan.

I also like the Braggs that was mentioned. The liquid Aminos is good but I love the apple cider vinegar they have and mix that in salad dressings. I've never kept San J in the fridge.

If we go for Sushi without planning ahead I just use a piece if gari ginger instead of shoyu ( soy sauce)

Good luck

I couldn't find gluten free, in low sodium. I wish I could find a way to try them all without buying the entire bottle. It cost so much as it is, to be gluten free. <_< I will have to look some more for that one.

Oh and I am always good about keeping it in the refrigerator. It drives my hubby crazy. :P

Archived