Byron of Ashwood

Lactose Free Dessert

Rate this topic

One of my guests this 'Xmas is lactose sensitive and I am planning on making up a smaller lactose free dessert for them or adapting the Edinburgh Fogs which call for cream.

What I'd had in mind was adapting an Almond milk jelly or even a blancmange and using rice milk as a substitute for the usual milk product. Does anyone have suggestions or experience with lactose free adaptations? Able to suggest substitutions?

I haven't found a lactose free cream in my Healthfood freezer or a recipe for making a fake cream, so am a bit stumped for adapting the Edinburgh Fogs which are really only a Bavarian cream over crushed macaroons.

Has anyone got suggestions or ideas?

Thanks,

Marcus

Coconut milk or cream is a commonly used dairy substitute. I've heard that it can be whippped like cream for a dessert topping. Haven't tried it myself. If someone doesn't post instructions, you may be able to find some on a vegan site. The vegan sites can be a good resource for dairy-free.

Coconut milk or cream is a commonly used dairy substitute. I've heard that it can be whippped like cream for a dessert topping. Haven't tried it myself. If someone doesn't post instructions, you may be able to find some on a vegan site. The vegan sites can be a good resource for dairy-free.

Thanks for the tip and lead.

Greatly appreciated. Theres coconut milk in the pantry :P I'll give it a try this coming week and see what happens. Perhaps chilling it very thoroughly, will also help whip it into a cream.