DreamWalker

Safeway Brand Rice Pockets

Rate this topic

I bought a box of this last night and after eating a few bowls, I fell asleep on my floor. :huh:

Anyhow, thirteen hours later I woke up and was slightly confused as to why it was nine a.m. Also, my fingers are pretty swollen. Weird.

My usual reaction to gluten includes mouth sores, diarrhea, falling asleep (even if I am in the middle of a conversation), and the usual stomach pangs. I also get really bloated yet I'm having pancreas issues which cause my stomach to swell.

I'll call tomorrow and ask Safeway if their Oven Toasted Rice Cereal is 100% gluten free but in the meantime I'm a bit curious. It says Gluten Free on the packaging and there's no warning regarding shared facilities.

Also, I used Light Silk Soy Milk and I usually drink almond. (It was on sale.)

However, I've had Silk Soy Milk before and it definitely didn't have this effect.

I also bought a box of Safeway brand rice pockets having bought Chex brand before with no issues. I have had a reaction these last three days and I now suspect the Safeway rice pockets so I trashed them to be safe.

I bought a box of this last night and after eating a few bowls, I fell asleep on my floor. huh.gif

Anyhow, thirteen hours later I woke up and was slightly confused as to why it was nine a.m. Also, my fingers are pretty swollen. Weird.

My usual reaction to gluten includes mouth sores, diarrhea, falling asleep (even if I am in the middle of a conversation), and the usual stomach pangs. I also get really bloated yet I'm having pancreas issues which cause my stomach to swell.

I'll call tomorrow and ask Safeway if their Oven Toasted Rice Cereal is 100% gluten free but in the meantime I'm a bit curious. It says Gluten Free on the packaging and there's no warning regarding shared facilities.

Also, I used Light Silk Soy Milk and I usually drink almond. (It was on sale.)

However, I've had Silk Soy Milk before and it definitely didn't have this effect.

I also bought a box of Safeway brand rice pockets having bought Chex brand before with no issues. I have had a reaction these last three days and I now suspect the Safeway rice pockets so I trashed them to be safe.

The original post is from 2009.

You need to read the ingredients on products, especially the ones not labelled gluten free. We can't assume that one brand's rice cereal is gluten free because Chex is. Most of these cereals use malt to sweeten them - making them not gluten-free.

Unfortunately the box did say gluten free same as chex did. There was however no allergen info in the ingredient box and I am not sure that it is a requirement to state the risk of cross contamination.

The original post is from 2009.

You need to read the ingredients on products, especially the ones not labelled gluten free. We can't assume that one brand's rice cereal is gluten free because Chex is. Most of these cereals use malt to sweeten them - making them not gluten-free.

Unfortunately the box did say gluten free same as chex did. There was however no allergen info in the ingredient box and I am not sure that it is a requirement to state the risk of cross contamination.

Safeway has been doing a nice job of gluten-free recently. I believe they test in accordance with the upcoming gluten-free laws. You might check that. I don't remember what the name of the Safeway brand is, so I can't look it up.