jhughes

Cobbler Topping

Rate this topic

My mother is always seeking dessert ideas for my celiac husband (her son-in-law). For Thanksgiving, she modified the new Better Crocker yellow cake mix to create an apple cobbler/crisp. She cooked up the apples just as you would for a normal cobbler or crisp. Then, she made a crumble topping out of one cup of the yellow cake mix and one cup of sugar. Then she used a half a stick of melted butter and sprinkled it on top of the apple mixture, baked it and it was delicious!

That's almost exactly how my mom does it, except without the added sugar. That would make it too sweet for my tastes, but I know some people like their desserts really sweet.

My mom just slices the cube of butter over the top and lets it melt in the oven. But this is how she's always made cobbler... fruit + sugar/flavors as necessary, add a cake mix, slice butter, bake. Now that we're all Celiac we didn't get it so often any more (she would make it sometimes but it's more work without the cake mix) so we were pretty thrilled when Betty Crocker came out with a cake mix that works for it. :)

-Elizabeth

I have to hunt up some of the yellow cake mix. I can find lots of the chocolate ones but not the yellow cake mix.

we used a recipe for dutch apple pie topping - 1 stick butter, 2/3 cup sugar, 1 cup flour. I'd probably reduce the sugar and flour in that a touch. made enough for two pies.