krisb0701

gluten-free Shopping List/ingredients To Watch Out For

Rate this topic

Hi all, I am fairly new to this....officially diagnosed Monday. I been struggling on what to eat. I found out gluten is hidden in tricky wording like frosted flakes said Malt Flavoring, which I bought but then found out its from barley....so I guess that will go to my brothers. But I am also going back to school after time off because I been constantly ill. I need help with the shopping list, and maybe even some brand names of snacks, like chips, cereals, etc that I can buy that would be easy to bring to school with me. Also personal care products, what are some brands to try. I use sensodine toothpaste. I am prone to loads of cavities so have a fluoride past for bed time and use act fluoride rinse during the day. Are those ok? For shampoo I use different name brands from Herbal Essences, Garnier fructis, Aussie, Pantine usually get what is on sale for the week. I use Sexy Hair concepts spray and play for hair spray. Deodorant I use Mitchum roll on. Face wash/lotion/astringent I use the Clinque 3 step. I also use Clinque happy for perfume.

And what do I look for on the ingredient list besides wheat, barley, rye, and endo said oats too even though oats are not a type of gluten but unless say gluten free in a gluten-free plant high risk of cross contamination. Also question is all "malt" gluten. I got some bubble gum candy canes and it lists malt syrup.

Welcome, this forum is a wealth of information.

There are a lot of things you have to watch out for. But first, I want to post these links so you can check out these gluten free grocery guides, they will save you a lot of time and guessing.

They list mainstream products (Kraft, Heinz, Kroger, Progresso, Hormel, etc.) by category (soups, chips, dressings, spaghetti sauce, etc.)

Gluten-Free Grocery Shopping Guides:

http://www.ceceliasmarketplace.com/

http://www.triumphdining.com/?gclid=COPJ4f...CFdVL5QodHR95Bw

There

Thank you so much for the quick prompt response. I do live at home currently. I know my family will not go gluten free, as my step father adn step brothers love pizza, pasta, etc way to much. But it is ok, as long as I can eat gluten-free and not be contaminated. I do have my own fridge because I am diabetic so we use it to keep my insulin and snacks in. But we have spare microwave ovens and toasters never used that we got as a gift, so I will ask my mom for them. I never thought that cookware could contaminate. I can see the toaster and I just been avoiding bread but never thought about a cutting board, etc. I am hoping not to be here much longer as I will either go to dorms in the fall for school or move in with my finance. And he's a tropper about this all. He has been more supportive than anyone. He even did injections of sailine and tests his blood glucose to support me. He is willing to try the foods and eat gluten-free with me. So down the road it will be very easy. But I guess I will be asking santa for new appliances. I will look up those shopping lists. Is there a book out there like calorie king (i use that for carb counting) that I can carry around?

Oh, never mind on the books....looked at those sites and they are like what I was looking for. I will be asking for them for christmas too.