mhb

Question About Enterolab Testing

Rate this topic

Hi, I have gotten my EnteroLab results back. Recently there was an article at the New York Times (Can't find it now) about how inaccurate testing blood for antibodies to different foods is for determining food "allergies." Apparently skin tests are more accurate. The New York Times article had said that the problem with testing for antibodies in the blood is that sometimes the immune system will mistake one food (protein) for another that it is sensitive to, thereby producing antibodies to a food it is not sensitive to. This made me wonder, since EnteroLab also tests for antibodies, are there potential problems with their tests being inaccurate also. I know EnteroLab says that their tests are a lot more refined and sensitive than blood tests (they catch these problems before they even get in the blood, etc.), but does that just mean they do a better job making some of the same mistakes as the blood tests? Or does the immune system make fewer errors in the intestine then in the blood for some reason?

Also interested in any comments about my results below. I realize no celiac genes.

At one and half years off gluten and dairy (known reactions to gluten are digestive and endocrine (HPO axis)):

Anti-gliadin IgA: 16

Anti-tissue Transglutaminase: 12

Fat score: <300

Anti-casein: 11

Anti-egg IgA: 8

Anti-yeast IgA: 7

Anti-soy IgA: 17

HLA-DQB1 0603

HLA-DQB1 0604

[HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 6,6)]

Hi, I have gotten my EnteroLab results back. Recently there was an article at the New York Times (Can't find it now) about how inaccurate testing blood for antibodies to different foods is for determining food "allergies." Apparently skin tests are more accurate. The New York Times article had said that the problem with testing for antibodies in the blood is that sometimes the immune system will mistake one food (protein) for another that it is sensitive to, thereby producing antibodies to a food it is not sensitive to. This made me wonder, since EnteroLab also tests for antibodies, are there potential problems with their tests being inaccurate also. I know EnteroLab says that their tests are a lot more refined and sensitive than blood tests (they catch these problems before they even get in the blood, etc.), but does that just mean they do a better job making some of the same mistakes as the blood tests? Or does the immune system make fewer errors in the intestine then in the blood for some reason?

I think you will find the NYT article refers to IgE mediated allergies.

In regards to entrolabs...I have a question too. Do doctors send away for testing through entrolabs? Why wouldn't a dr do that?...and why wouldn't insurance pay for this testing?

CC

In regards to entrolabs...I have a question too. Do doctors send away for testing through entrolabs? Why wouldn't a dr do that?...and why wouldn't insurance pay for this testing?

CC

i read that some insurances may reimburse you if you use entrolab but it looks like its case by case. (i believe it was either here or on entro's website ... sorry i can't remember which one).