CoCo_Rojo

Glutened By Gluten Free

Rate this topic

I've been gluten free for a year which has made it the best year of my life! Aside from accidentally being served gluten at restuarants 3 or 4 times, I've been able to easily steer clear of gluten.

However, today I ate soup (a brand I've never eaten before) that said "No Gluten" on the label and within an hour I KNEW I had eaten gluten! Ugh! Now I'm in for 2 days of... well, you know.

Has anyone else ever eaten something that said it was gluten-free, but you KNOW it had gluten in it anyway? Please tell me I'm not crazy.

That's how I feel about Amy's frozen dishes. They gluten and dairy free, two of my big no-no's, yet I feel like crap afterwards, and have all the symptoms of having eaten gluten. You are definitely not alone!

Many times, probably because of cross contamination issues.

Ciavyn, I've never had a problem with Amy's. I eat it often, but I only eat the Mexican dishes.

Today it was Dr. McDougall's Right Foods Tortilla Soup that got me. I usually wouldn't eat a pre-packaged food with as many ingredients as this soup. "Natural Flavorings" at the end of the ingredient list always makes me nervous. But this one said "no gluten" so I trusted it.

So what does this mean? Should I not trust when a food or restaurant says "gluten free?" Do most of you just eat natural foods? I find I eat a lot more fruit now that I'm gluten free. When I eat a strawberry, I know there is no wheat hiding in it!

Ciavyn, I've never had a problem with Amy's. I eat it often, but I only eat the Mexican dishes.

Today it was Dr. McDougall's Right Foods Tortilla Soup that got me. I usually wouldn't eat a pre-packaged food with as many ingredients as this soup. "Natural Flavorings" at the end of the ingredient list always makes me nervous. But this one said "no gluten" so I trusted it.

So what does this mean? Should I not trust when a food or restaurant says "gluten free?" Do most of you just eat natural foods? I find I eat a lot more fruit now that I'm gluten free. When I eat a strawberry, I know there is no wheat hiding in it!

I can eat the prepacked boxed soups that are gluten free by McDougall, but I too had a similar reaction to the tortilla soup. My solution has been to cook as much of my own food as possible; for me, it's easier to make soups and stews in bulk than to buy prepacked anyway. I also have a similar issue with fruit--I ate nearly an entire flat of clementines by myself in about two days over Christmas.

I can eat the prepacked boxed soups that are gluten free by McDougall, but I too had a similar reaction to the tortilla soup. My solution has been to cook as much of my own food as possible; for me, it's easier to make soups and stews in bulk than to buy prepacked anyway. I also have a similar issue with fruit--I ate nearly an entire flat of clementines by myself in about two days over Christmas.

Heck, yes! I've come to learn that anything can say "GLuten Free" on the label if they don't add gluten (wheat , rye or barley). However, many many supposed gluten free grocery items say right on the label that it's processed on equipment that also processes wheat, etc.

Now I look for the gluten free items that are certified,with the little gluten-free or some other celiac certification symbol on them.

It is frustrating, when you're trying to be so careful, I know. I hate set-backs!