bluebonnet

Is Petechia A Symptom Of Celiac?

Rate this topic

i was just curious if anyone has ever heard of Petechia (small popped/red blood vessels under skin that do not heal) being a problem/symptom for someone who is gluten intolerant?

thanks for the help! :)

I hadn't thought about it but mine have gone away so perhaps there was an association. I used to have them on my face but they have been gone for a long time now. I wonder if they had something to do with all the inflammation?

I hadn't thought about it but mine have gone away so perhaps there was an association. I used to have them on my face but they have been gone for a long time now. I wonder if they had something to do with all the inflammation?

well its great to hear that they can go away. today i am 10 days into being gluten free and i have already been relieved to see some very noticable changes. i hope that is another positive change as well! :)

I developed petechia about a year after going gluten-free. I noticed them on my arms... when I'd scratch even a small itch, I'd end up w/ red lines that stayed for hours, sometimes days! I went to my doctor who told me it was a symptom of LUPUS and since I was dealing w/ autoimmune issues, she sent me to a rheumatologist. He sent me for blood work ... MANY little blood vials! I had a mildly elevated ANA and nothing else. I saw him every 6 months for 18 months and nothing ever came of that mildly elevated ANA.

It was that rheumatologist who gave me the best description of celiac or any autoimmune disease. He said that my body was like a country (I asked him if that was a FAT joke... haha) and my immune system was the army who protected my country. Sometimes, he said, the army doesn't have much to do and they begin fighting amongst themselves causing damage to the country. And that's an autoimmune disease... when your protective army is fighting itself! I thought that was really neat.