jasonD2

Colonoscopy Prep

Rate this topic

My doc wants me to take Halflytely for the colonoscopy prep. Its a 2 part protocol and the first part requires taking Biscodyl, which is a stimulant laxative. Unfortunately the pills contain lactose and i probly shouldnt take since i am severely intolerant. would i be able to supplement with a different laxative and is the stimulant laxative even necessary? seems like drinking the huge jug of PEG should get the job done.

Call your doctor about this. He can suggest a different product if needed. Do not skip any of the steps. If you are not throughly cleaned out the doctor won't be able to do the test.

I've had 3 colonoscopies. My doc had me drink the big jug, then do 2 bottles of magnesium citrate before bed. be prepared to not get any sleep, because you have to go to the bathroom all night.

A word to the wise- lay down some towels on your bed before you go to sleep so you don't have to change your sheets in the middle of the night :blink:

I used the biscodyl tablets, but I didn't have any other intolerences. I did the gallon of Golytely. Then after I got to same day surgery, the nurse came in and told me I was to have a warm water enema! :o I knew nothing of that prior. She told me that the doc likes to do them just to finish cleaning out. I let them do it but was embarassed. I figured I went through all of the day before married to the toilet then by gosh I was going to finish and do it right. :lol: Your back side will get sore/raw so I suggest mixing some liquid antacid with petroleum jelly to counteract the acidy from the stool and for a protective barrier. Diaper rash cream would work to to sooth also. I used both and did not get sore from the prep.