coffeetime

Do I Need Gloves

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed as gluten intolerant last week. I read about how people have separate areas to prepare food and are throwing away cooking utensils, etc. Do I need to be that strict if my blood results were not that severe? I was making a sandwich for my husband at lunch and realized this is really no different than using gluten lotions, soap, etc.

Yes you do need to be that strict. As far as making wheat bread sandwiches, if you can keep your hands away from your face while your doing it and wash your hands afterward you should be fine. It is best not to cook with gluten flours though if you can avoid it. The flour gets into the air and can take up to 24 hours to settle. You can become ill from breathing it in or having it land on your gluten-free food.

I agree. Avoiding cross contamination is really important. I cook with different utensils. Wash my hands constantly when cooking for my husband. If I am baking for the rest of my family I cover my mouth & nose to not breath in the flours that I am using.

Thanks guys, I thought I was doing so well but I need to re-evaluate my routine. This is so not fun. I'm so thankful for this board as had I not been reading the various post I would never have worried about just handling bread.