lakegirl410

Natural Flavors And Gluten

Rate this topic

Hello Everyone--

I was diagnosed about two weeks ago with Celiac Disease. I have a little background in what is and isn't safe for me to eat, but I am really confused by ingredients that list "Natural Flavors." What does this mean? I don't know if I should avoid all foods that list "Natural Flavors" in their ingredients. I also was wondering if I should only trust foods that say gluten-free on the label. It's rather overwhelming! Also, are foods that are processed in a facility that also processes wheat products bad for me, too. I have assumed so and have stopped eating all foods that aren't marked clearly. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

There are some companies that will not hide gluten ingredients under the natural flavors, Kraft and Unilever and Hormel are a couple of them. As a general rule I will call a company about a product with natural flavors listed just to be on the safe side. When I call I ask if something has wheat, rye, barley, oats or any of their derivitives. Since some folks still don't know what gluten is I feel safer that way.

I would hold off on products produced in the same facility at first. After you heal then try them and see if they produce any issues.

I do feel safer with stuff that says gluten free on it but then again Wegmans has spoiled me in that respect since they label all their gluten-free items. At first if you can go with as much unprocessed whole food as possible that will help speed healing.

It can be hard at first to get used to the gluten free diet and all the changes that we have to do but it is very much worth it in the end.