Jump to content
  • Sign Up
0
tensmama

Newbie With A Question...

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi All -

My 3 yr old tested positive to gluten sensitivity via a stool test about 6 months ago and we've been gluten-free since then. The only change I've really noticed since going gluten-free is maybe more formed stools. Last week we were traveling and DH and I decided to give him wheat bread (we had been traveling all day and had a bad situation where we barely caught a connecting flight, had no time to find food at the airport, he was starving, etc, etc), so on the plane he ate a large piece of wheat bread for the first time in 6 months. He complained of a tummy ache the next day and the following night he was up vomiting/diarrhea. DH and I felt horrible of course! He never became sick like this from gluten back when we ate it regularly. Just wondering if it is normal to have worsening symptoms after your body is free of gluten. I imagine it was a big shock to his little system since he has had little/no gluten for 6 months.

Also, he has many other food allergies/sensitivities...anyone see an improvememt in other allergies once going gluten-free?

Thanks so much - this has been such a wonderful resource for me since beginning this journey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All -

My 3 yr old tested positive to gluten sensitivity via a stool test about 6 months ago and we've been gluten-free since then. The only change I've really noticed since going gluten-free is maybe more formed stools. Last week we were traveling and DH and I decided to give him wheat bread (we had been traveling all day and had a bad situation where we barely caught a connecting flight, had no time to find food at the airport, he was starving, etc, etc), so on the plane he ate a large piece of wheat bread for the first time in 6 months. He complained of a tummy ache the next day and the following night he was up vomiting/diarrhea. DH and I felt horrible of course! He never became sick like this from gluten back when we ate it regularly. Just wondering if it is normal to have worsening symptoms after your body is free of gluten. I imagine it was a big shock to his little system since he has had little/no gluten for 6 months.

Also, he has many other food allergies/sensitivities...anyone see an improvememt in other allergies once going gluten-free?

Thanks so much - this has been such a wonderful resource for me since beginning this journey!

Hi and welcome to the board!

Yes, many find that they become more sensitive to smaller amounts of gluten the longer they are gluten-free. As for the other sensitivities--you may find that after forgoing them for a period of time, say 6 months to a year, he may be able to tolerate them again. The only way to tell is to try a little.

Of course, any "true" allergies should be handled with care and under the advice of an allergist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jerseyangel! Good to know that is normal for some. I'm now thinking we won't have to confirm his Enterolab results with a blood test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Jerseyangel said, it is important to distinguish an actual *allergy* from an intolerance. An allergy is when you have an anaphylaxis (shock, inability to breathe) type reaction to something or it produces hay fever, sneezing-type symptoms, or causes huge swelling as in some insect bites. Intolerance is when a food does not agree with you; it can cause digestive upset, vomiting, hives, itching, etc.

Any truly allergic person needs to be under the care of an M.D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mushroom...DS is anaphylactic to peanut and dairy and allergic to several other foods. He also tested sensitive to a ton of foods via a blood test so I was wondering if, once gluten was eliminated if others experienced an improved ability to handle other foods they couldn't tolerate. For his true allergies, I would measure improvement based on results of his skin prick tests he'll have done every couple of years. It's likely he'll grow out of some of these, but I'm hoping now that we discovered that gluten is problematic, it will help expedite the process :) Thanks again for your help!

As Jerseyangel said, it is important to distinguish an actual *allergy* from an intolerance. An allergy is when you have an anaphylaxis (shock, inability to breathe) type reaction to something or it produces hay fever, sneezing-type symptoms, or causes huge swelling as in some insect bites. Intolerance is when a food does not agree with you; it can cause digestive upset, vomiting, hives, itching, etc.

Any truly allergic person needs to be under the care of an M.D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0

×