Dace

Benefits Of A Diagnosis?

Rate this topic

Long story but I have a 16 yr old who appears to be gluten intolerant. I dug up some old lab results and see that she does have gliadin antibodies in her system...confirming that gluten is likely the source of her GI distress....even though Dr proclaimed negative on celiacs.

Fast forward 5 yrs form her testing, I am having my 7 yr old tested.

Should I have my 16 yr old retested? Is there any benefit in having an actual diagnosis?

I read this in a post and I got me thinking maybe a diagnosis is necessary?

That said at her age she would need to have precautions taken at school so a positive 'gold standard' diagnosis would be helpful with that IF your ped will not diagnose based on symptoms, positive blood work and response to the diet.

Thoughts?

If she has been eating gluten all along, I say get tested. Having a diagnosis could help with school but also, college dorm life. I went to an all day event at the Georgia Dome & they were looking in bags for food. I got a note from my doctor that I used to get my food in or I would have been very hungry or sick. Might get doctors in the future to take other medical issues that could be related to celiac disease more seriously. On the other hand, I got denied life insurance from one company. Other companies are OK with it.

Also, with a teenager/young adult, might help to impress upon her the seriousness of being gluten-free. Or at least her friends. My son, 17, won't let his celiac disease friend eat gluten if she's with him & she has a habit of cheating.

The main benefit of diagnosis is support of compliance to the diet and not dying of stomach cancer when she's 30. It's hard to give up gluten, but dying sucks even more.

OK thank you....it looks like it is worth it.

She has been gluten-free since Sunday, if I can get her in on Monday or Tues. (8 days gluten-free) is that too long?

I know being off gluten is not good for testing but this is a bagel for breakfast, bread for lunch kind of girl...she should be pretty loaded with the stuff!

Eight days shouldn't be an issue. Good luck finding answers.