mamarie

How Soon After Eating Gluten...

Rate this topic

Before my endoscopy, I'm trying to eat lots of gluten. I've always had tummy trouble, but honestly never paid much attention and put two and two together, because I thought it was normal and everyone experienced the same things.

So last night, I had pita bread slices with hummus. Then had a sub with white bread with avocados, tomatoes, cheese, onion, and sprouts (Melly Mushroom). Last night I felt okay... felt stuffed thought and bloated.

This morning my stomach reallly hurts. I have stinging pains everwhere. I'm extremely bloated. I feel like I need to lean over and press on my stomach. I have bad gas.

Does this sound like a reaction to gluten? I mean, the hummus and veggies on the sandwhich wouldn't cause this right? It's not normal to feel this way after eating? Or would a gluten reaction set in right after eating (last night)?

From what I am reading here (I am a newbie,too)everyone reacts differently.Some have an almost immediate reaction to gluten,while others can have symptoms a day or two later.My experience with gluten is almost immediately..If I were to eat what you did,I would be in misery right away..I would have the extreme bloating,constant gas,and a feeling of fullness like I just ate a huge Thanksgiving meal.Hope you feel better soon!

I have a reaction within a half hour, usually in less time than that. What you describe definitely sounds like a reaction, but you also had a lot of bread. I'm not sure how a normal body processes that, but if I had that much bread in one sitting, I'd be miserable several hours afterwards. In my mind, it's because bread soaks up liquid and expands in your stomach. Of course, I never associated that to gluten until a year ago. :) So who knows? But it definitely sounds like you are having a reaction.

It's not normal to feel this way after eating? Or would a gluten reaction set in right after eating (last night)?

I assumed that everyone felt unwell after eating but since I started paying attention to how I felt, I also started asking my friends. And they all looked at me like I was crazy. It sounds to me like you're having a reaction. From what I've heard, it can take minutes, hours, days or even longer to set in. Hope you feel better soon!

20 minutes. I'm not celiac but my gluten intolerant numbers were so high that my naturopath said to live my life as a celiac. I get constipated for 3 days with horrible gas and then diarhea for about 2 days.