kors

Upset Stomach - 10 Days gluten-free/df

Rate this topic

I have a question for you guys - I have searched around but can't find any info. After years of IBS, was diagnosed with celiac a couple of weeks ago. My Dad has ulcertive colitis and I am almost sure my brother has it too. Anyway, I went gluten-free about 10 days ago, and dairy free at the same time. The stomach pains I had in my lower right quadrant went away within a day of gluten-free...amazing. Anyway, doing research and stuff I got a multi-vitamin from Country life (4 capsules a day), Cal-Mag 1000/500, B12 sublingual, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E. Pretty much since starting the vitamins I have been getting light green/yellow stools. I had diarrhea the past couple of days (gone now) and stopped the Cal-Mag (I have never tolerated magnesium). My stools were normal once going gluten-free/DF and then they changed with the vitamins. Should I stop the vitamins/supplements and see if that works?

I have been eating a lot of fruits/veggies/brown rice/protein. The only item that is a "cheat" is Pamela's Choc Chip cookies. I have also stopped caffeine cold turkey 10 days ago - it was hard, but worth it. I drink water only. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it - thanks in advance!

I would stop the vitamins. I have better results taking pure individual supplements as mixtures all seem to contain something I am intolerant or sensitive to and it may not be gluten. I always check the label of a supplement or med to see if it is gluten free, if gluten is not listed at all on the label I dont take it. If Pamela's cookies have any gluten find a gluten free alternative. Once you are gluten free any amount of gluten will start off the autoimmune reaction. I have been eating ARICO Double Chocolate Gluten Free Cookies - no problems unless I eat too many at one time but it is only 4 years on a gluten-free diet that I have been able to tolerate this much carbohydrate.

Kors, after I went gluten-free I had the most bizarre bowel movements for about 2 weeks. I never had constipation, so I know I wasn't backed up. But what came out of me was bizarre in color, quantity and everything else! Sorry to be so graphic :blink:

Also, my fruit & veggie intake sky rocketed after going gluten-free so I think that has something to do with it too. As far as the supplements, I know that Cal/Mag always irritates my stomach. Not sure if you could find a supplement more tolerable? Or maybe reintroduce the vitamins one at a time, spaced out by several days, to isolate the one that is causing problems. Good luck!