Rate this topic

Hello everyone. I am desperately looking for help. I have a 2 1/2 year old son. He has never gotten over the "baby poop" stage. He goes 3-6 times a day and man do they stink. He has severe "excema". I thought that he was throwing up because he was just gorging himself on pizza and pasta or because the other boys brought home some kind of bug. He is beond hyper. He is always bouncing off the walls. He is much smaller than my other boys ever were (but still growing at a steady pace). Then we started limiting how much pasta he ate and he still threw up. We limited his juice and sugar intake and he still was constanly pooping and still bouncing off the wall. Then one day it clicked, celiac. We have a huge history of autoimmune diseases in my family. I have another son with type one diabetes, an aunt with celiac and type 2 diabetes, a sister with rhumatoid arthritis and fybromialsia, a sister with thyroid problems and the list goes on. So, I took him to the doctor and at first they looked at me like I was nuts until I told him everything that I just told you. Then they agreed. So, then test came back, normal. So, I asked exactly what test was done and what the number was. Test was tTG and the number was 6. So, could the test be wrong, where do we go from here?

Yes, the blood tests are not very accurate and often false negatives. There are a few other tests you can request. One is a biospy of the small intestine to check for damage, but I'm not sure if they do that with small children of not. Have you taken him to a dermatologist for the "exzema"? If not, see if you can get him in and get skin biopsy of it tested for DH. If that comes back positive it is good enough for a diagnosis of celiac's. Another thing you can do is get a genetic test, however that will not tell you if he has celiacs, just if he has the gene for it. Finally you can just try the diet and see how he does. I would start with the dermatologist next and see how that goes. Good Luck!

I have a three year old with celiac....When she was 14 months old she stopped having breast milk...we gave her cows milk and here we went with cramps, diarrhea, swollen stomach to 19 inches and dehydrated..in the the hospital..Dr thought I was nuts and refused to test her..after 6 ped's later I finally saw a PA they sent me to a GI for Ped's..Had antibody test came out with a moderate result..not enough to please DR. After DNA test showed one Gene.. still not enough for Dr...did 2 months of gluten diet and did biopsy at 2 1/2. Biopsy normal...After all this I found out that children under the age of 5 will not show poss results. We went to a gluten free diet just because she did better..Took her to an allergist and got allergy forms for day care...Until a new Ped's moved to town. Made appointment and explained situation with all docs...and Dr diagnosed celiac with milk way allergy.