m231

Newbie - Is This Dh?

Rate this topic

Good morning, I was dx with IBS about 8 years ago by exclusion. I have diverticulosis but don't have symptoms. I don't recall exact details, but around that time I was on a low carb diet with little gluten. My celiac panel was negative: TT IGA = 4, Gliadin IGG = 6, Gliadin IGA = 9. Tissue biopsy was negative.

I've been off gluten for 2 days now after being on it for years and feeling progressively worse despite regular exercise, healthy eating (whole grains - LOL). Last week I was referred to a rheumatologist for positive ANA 1:80. Blood tests also reveal eosinophilia.

My biggest physical complaints have been RLQ abdominal pain (been checked for appendicitis), joint pain, tiredness and brain fog.

I also experience severe burning/tingling pain on my back or neck, which is followed by a few small itchy skin eruptions that scab over. I'm wondering if it could be DH? Once I figure out how, I'll upload a couple of photos of my mid-back - one is a close up of the three bumps on the right side (there is a symmetrical bump on the left side as well).

Even if I don't have celiac or DH, I'm sure I'm at a minimum gluten intolerant. Also, I'm 100% Irish - both sets grandparents emigrated to the US from Ireland. Also worthy of mention, my maternal uncle and his son both have colitis (I don't).

In any event, thank you for reading my post and giving your opinion on my pics. I'll let you know how things go with my rheumatologist appt. on the 21st.

You sound pretty discouraged--I don't blame you. I think you know that you probably DO, in fact, have celiac and DH, but the tests have you wondering what's going on. I recently returned from a gluten intolerance conference in Minneapolis, and one of the experts stated that 7 out of 10 celiacs' blood tests come back negative unless there is TOTAL villus atrophy. Therefore, it could be that not enough damage has taken place in your small intestine. Of course, you wouldn't want it to get worse, so it certainly wouldn't hurt to go entirely gluten free. Also, you may wish to cut out iodine (since it takes both iodine and gluten to cause DH) and soy (which can make a person feel as though he/she has appendicitis).

Thanks for the reply and encouragement. I've been gluten-free since Wednesday and I feel SO much better. I definitely felt some withdrawal symptoms but they only lasted a day.

I'll have to research what to avoid as far as iodine and soy. I normally stick with fresh unprocessed foods so hopefully it won't be too much of a challenge.