Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lucycampbell55

What Is Xanthum Gum

:unsure: Okay, I give up. I've been trying to find out what Xanthum Gum is and what it's purpose is. I know that I probably sound dumb :wacko: but I can't seem to find an answer.

I asked the lady at the health store and she said it was used as an egg substitute. Is this true? I'm new at this, just diagnosed in November and I still am having a hard time baking any thing that looks remotely like a piece of bread. :unsure:

I know there is someone out there who can help. :(

Please help..... Lucy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

It's a derivative from the cell wall of a bacteria. It adds "stickiness" and "structure" to bread in a similar (but not identical) way that gluten does, so that the bread can hold itself together.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

Also, I just wanted to address a couple of things about enzymes. I get routinely criticized for endorsing them because the major support groups haven't fully endorsed their use. I am not sure how much science it takes for them to finally...
    Bananas have a lot of sugar.  1 serving is actually half a banana.  
    Travelling is always a challenge, but another of the things in life, like eating out, that I simply won't give up. There is a reason I moved to wine country California--wine and good restaurants! I hope you'll be on here during your travels...