Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heathers_garden

How Long Until Challenge?

I left another post about questions I had regarding my symptoms. I still am off the gluten(being very careful) and dairy. For me it is very disheartening though and I wonder if anything is really helping. My joints actually are worse(just started my period...it does get worse with this) and I have been off gluten for about three weeks. Am I nuts for even trying this? I just want to eat a big greasy cheesy burger with a bun, but don't know if I am just being impatient. I don't get better like bam! does that mean this is a useless experiment? I guess I don't mean challenge as in getting the blood test, I mean reintroduce gluten. I don't think I would see a difference as my joints still hurt. boo.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I left another post about questions I had regarding my symptoms. I still am off the gluten(being very careful) and dairy. For me it is very disheartening though and I wonder if anything is really helping. My joints actually are worse(just started my period...it does get worse with this) and I have been off gluten for about three weeks. Am I nuts for even trying this? I just want to eat a big greasy cheesy burger with a bun, but don't know if I am just being impatient. I don't get better like bam! does that mean this is a useless experiment? I guess I don't mean challenge as in getting the blood test, I mean reintroduce gluten. I don't think I would see a difference as my joints still hurt. boo.

What are you typically eating? My joints hurt more when I eat anything with soy. And if you are eating a lot of processed gluten-free foods they often contain soy. Cross-contamination is another problem with gluten free substitutes. If you are super sensitive you could still be reacting to trace amounts of gluten.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

It can take a couple months for non-GI symptoms to go away. I wouldn't declare gluten-free a flop until you've been strict for at least two months and had no improvement at all.

To be honest, I saw your other post and wasn't sure about gluten intolerance. I'm not a doctor, so I don't really have much to offer but I do hope you get things sorted out.

I figured I needed to try it longer. Autoimmune things are frustrating because you are always seeing similarities with other conditions and never know what is going on. Do you think my symptoms in the other post don't sound like gluten intolerance. I had read that some people don't have GI issues, and I definitely have had some sort of ataxia. Thanks for your time.

The nightshade family is strongly associated with arthritis/joint pain. Try cutting out the family for a few weeks and see if it helps? Nightshades = potato, green and red pepper, tomato, eggplant and a few more. Have rice, sweet potato or yams instead of potato.

I also second the soy suggestion, it's nasty stuff! (my humble opinion :) )

You could also look into lectins, I've been researching this a lot the past few days, and it seems to be the culprit for a lot of problems.

Thorough explanation of lectins

Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks

July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms

July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem

Gluten intolerant