This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please Let Me Pick At Your Brain

miche

miche Rookie

I got my results from enterolab 6 weeks ago , the result was an 8 , anything under a ten is considered non celiac , however I had been off gluten for 4 months at the time of the test , needless to say I resumed eating gluten with a p[assion , I felt better it seemed , five weeks later I am now in the worst fibro flare ever , ibs flare , the works, the exhasustion , the fibro fog and the sudden depression makes me unable to function , could enterolab exagerate when they say that they can detect a reaction when one is off gluten , would four months have been too long , I dont know what to do any more, should i go back to gluten free , has anyone gone through this experience ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

None of the tests are 100% reliable. Listen to your body. It sounds like yours does not like gluten! I would definitely go back to gluten-free. If you feel better again (and I hope you do!) you will have your answer.

nora-n Rookie

The excact level of antibodies vary widely between people, so this is not an excact science.

Actually, the Enterolab tests are more about gluten sensitivity in relation to microscopic colitis and they found out that many other people can have issues with gluten too. But they are not an excact science either.

I really think the 8 after 4 months gluten free together with your reactions to the reintroduction of gluten mean something. I guess the numbers went down from when you ate gluten and they were higher before.

you wanted some thoughts, and here were mine.

miche Rookie

It makes a lot of sense that an 8 after 4 months of gluten free should raise a red flag , what I find so confusing is feeling better than ever when I first reintroduced gluten , at least for about 6 weeks , what's with that , hence my confusion , anyone ........ Nora ........?

miche Rookie

It makes a lot of sense that an 8 after 4 months of gluten free should raise a red flag , what I find so confusing is feeling better than ever when I first reintroduced gluten , at least for about 6 weeks , what's with that , hence my confusion , anyone ........ Nora ........? I noticed that I always react to fructose with an increase in muscle pain and a lot of stomach and bowel issues , from what I read a lot of people who react to fructose also react to fructan , wheat is a fructan so possibly it is not a gluten issue as much as a wheat fructose issue , possibly I got away with the symptoms until I added a lot of fruit salad on top of the bread , does this make any sense to you ?

I have to find out if enterolab detects such a reaction , what I mean is could it show that I am not sensitive to gluten yet react to the fructose component of wheat ?

Skylark Collaborator

Isn't an 8 with a cutoff of 10 a negative result? That means no evidence of gluten sensitivity. Did you ever have a positive result that is outside the "normal" range of the test?

If you have fructose malabsorption, yes it could be the fructans in wheat making you sick and Enterolab tests will not detect it. Have you tried a low FODMAP diet?

miche Rookie

No skylark , this was my first test , I just assumed that perhaps having been off gluten for 4 months prior to the test maight have made a difference in the results even with enterolab, I don't know and no I have stayed away from a lot of fruits most of the time but never did go on the foodmap diet, I know I cannot tolerate onions in any shape or form and watermelon is a killer , I just find it hard to believe that fructose would make me so sick , it feels like a dozen dogs are chewing at every muscle in my body , on top of that I still have gas pain now my husband tells me I have sores and redness on my back , I am seing my doctor on Friday and will ask to be tested for fructose , in the meantime I will try foodmap , I have nothing to lose , I appreciate your input and knowledge .

Micheline

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Fructose can make you very sick. My mom can't touch onions or watermelon. She got so sick eating figs when she came to visit that we had to take her to urgent care because we thought she got food poisonied. She gets stomach aches, painful cramps, bad diarrhea, gas, feels sick all over, can't sleep, her reflux goes crazy and triggers heart palpitations. We had no idea at that point she had fructose malabsorption This is the best online info I've found on the diet.

Open Original Shared Link

You can't say anything about gluten one way or the other. If you were good with your diet, there might not have been any antibodies for Enterolab to find. Might be best for you to be off gluten too. I hope you sort it out!

miche Rookie

Thank's Skylark for taking the time to share .

Archived