This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Restuarant And Post-Glutening Advice

Almendra

Almendra Apprentice

I went out and got glutened last night at Maggiano's. When the pain started about a half hour to an hour later(I can tell because my side will start hurting with every movement).

I know that eating out is at my own risk, but so far, I get glutened about 50% of the time I go out - even at restuarants with "special arrangements" like PF Changs and Maggiano's.

So, I guess I'm missing some key safety advice here. I've gotta improve my chances here.

And then, post glutening... treatment...

Well, at this time, I'm figuring that drinking some extra water wouldn't hurt (to wash out the poison). Maybe some acetaminophen for the pain. Then, I feel compelled to eat several prunes... It could be silly, but at least I feel like I'm doing SOMETHING.

Do ya'll have any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

julandjo Explorer

Are you letting the restaurant know after you've been glutened? I was glutened at a Ruby Tuesday, despite their gluten free menu and me going over my needs with the server AND the manager. I got online the next day when I realized I'd been gotten, and filled out a customer comment form. Within 12 hours the regional manager called me and spoke with me at length. He was horrified, and promised me that he would be conducting more intensive training on gluten free procedures at ALL the Ruby Tuesdays in his region. He thanked me multiple times and explained that unless they get feedback like this, they don't realize there's a problem and they end up losing business. He also sent us several meal vouchers. So absolutely let the restaurant know - it can only help!

As far as recovery, I just lay low as much as possible. If I do continue my workout routine I make it low-key... if I feel bad enough I skip the workout and just give my body time to work on the glutening. Pepto helps, and I too do lots of water and fruit fiber. Feel better soon!

pbsml Newbie

I know this is a sad thought, but for me, being so scared of getting glutened, I just try to avoid eating out. I find that even though restaurants I've tried are boasting gluten-free menus, their staff doesn't necessarily always understand the importance of it. 3 days ago, i asked for a hamburger with no bun and a side salad with vinaigrette... I was so thorough explaining that I couldn't have anything with dairy or gluten, and sure enough, right before finishing eating, I was getting crazy chest pains... my fingers started tingling, and i started feeling light-headed.

I knew it, right then and there. It ruined my night out with my understanding and sympathetic girlfriend. I feel so bad for her that I have to be so careful. I don't want to impact her life negatively, but it's so hard to go out i find.

I told the waiter, and he said the 'chef' put soy sauce on my burger, thinking it was ok. Apparently, he's a great gluten-free chef. In my eyes, he just needs to be called a 'cook' from now on.

I'm still suffering from that night. So ridiculous. I drink as much water as I feel is healthy without overdoing it. I eat a lot of fruit and I just have to keep telling myself that it's going to pass eventually.

I'm sorry to hear about your restaurant experiences.... I bet that in some markets, restaurants dedicated to only gluten free foods would do quite well. This condition is becoming so prevalent... more than most people realize.

Skylark Collaborator

Ugh. Sorry you got glutened. I take Immodium if I need it. If it's just nausea/pain I take Pepto. I find that switching to bland foods like gluten-free broth and white rice for a day or two really helps with the GI stuff.

• 5 months later...
Almendra Apprentice

Oh, update on Maggiano's: I realized that I have to tell them to get me new silverware - that has NOT touched the table - to be safe. WITH a fresh napkin to place it on. Their gluten-free kitchen is even separate, and given that I even saw a bread crumb on a plate the last time I was there, the tablecloth is a very likely culprit.

For the average person, the tablecloths are just a nice touch to a nice restaurant. For a celiac, they are a place for gluten that falls from someone's bread or a stray piece of pasta to lie in ambush.

So, if you see a tablecloth and you really want to be safe, ask for new silverware that has not touched the table. If, as they did in my case, they put new silverware on the table, patiently ask again. There is a learning curve for all of us here.

LivesIntheSun Apprentice

What a shame, I'm sorry. When this happens to me I cancel whatever I can cancel, try and just do the bare minimum at work, and tell myself that it will only be 3 days, that I will feel better soon (it always takes 3 days for me to go back to normal). I tell myself not not take the craziness and the depression seriously, try and observe it from the outside so to speak. My friend says 'if you know its the gluten, can't you just stop yourself crying and being aggressive?', and I say 'I am controlling myself, I'd like to smash the house up and I'm not'. Ha ha, oh dear.

Mostly, I try and be philospohical and remember that I used to feel terrible ALL the time and not know why. But it SUCKS and personally if there's one thing I HATE its missing social engagements. Just this week I had to let down a friend and I was so fed up with the gluten issue that I just told him I didn't feel like it and he was't too happy. And it turned out I missed a killer party :( And as for eating out....I've promised myself not to go to any restaurants for at least a few months to give my poor body a rest, because I get glutened again and again. I'm trying to view it as good for my wallet and healthier for me. The other night a friend invited me out for dinner and I said 'no, lets go to my place and I'll cook' and I made a delicious garlic steak and french fries feast, with homemade salsa and guacamole, way better than what we would have had in a restaurant. But anyway, I'm with you and I agree that eating out is seriously risky and I've had enough.

Archived