Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sherrylynn

Joint Pain And Total Knee Surgery Part Of Celiac Disease?

I have not been diagnosed yet but wondered. I have had joint pain for a long time. and 2 years ago have had to have total knee replacement surgery for both knees. I am 45 now and when I was 38 was told from a doctor that I had the knees of a 70 y/o. Was going to have the surgery then but found out 4 days before surgery I was pregnant.

Has anyone else had Joint pain then had to have surgery on joints at a young age?

I also have had D since I was 12 and have just been Diagnosed with IBS and have had lactose intolerance since I was 12.

Still wondering if what I have is Celiac, or do I just have IBS and arthitis and it is all a coincidence.

Thank you

Sherry Lynn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

In my case the arthritis and IBS along with a lot of other stuff was connected. My arthritis has been in total remission now since a few months after diagnosis. After you are done with testing do give the diet a good strict try for a few months even if the results are negative. My IBS symptoms resolved fairly quickly but the arthritis took a bit longer to resolve.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Agreed with Ravenwood :) Get tested first, and then immediately go gluten-free anyway for a few weeks to see if it clears up symptoms even if tests come back negative.

I get very sore knees (they feel "unoiled"/creaky) when I get accidently glutened. I've also noticed my back pain coming back the last week or so when I was glutened, so wondering if that's related as well...

Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks

July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms

July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem

Gluten intolerant

Agreed with Ravenwood :) Get tested first, and then immediately go gluten-free anyway for a few weeks to see if it clears up symptoms even if tests come back negative.

I get very sore knees (they feel "unoiled"/creaky) when I get accidently glutened. I've also noticed my back pain coming back the last week or so when I was glutened, so wondering if that's related as well...

Thank you both for answering my question. I am very anxous about seeing the doctor, I hope he can help me. I am soooo tired of having a sore and painful tummy.

I am also having alot of pain in my arms and legs. stabbing type pain and an achy pain that I have had for years and years. I will let you know what he says.