Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SaraKat

Had Appt With Gi Dr Today And Confused About Something He Said

I had my consultation with the GI Dr this morning after getting a positive blood test last week. I told him that I was concerned about damage to my intestine since I am 35 and didn

Positive TTG IGA blood test 8/13/10

Endoscopy confirmed 8/31/10

Started gluten-free diet 9/1/10

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

While we are born with the genetic predisposition to develop celiac it can hit at any age. Usually there is a triggering event, in women that can be childbirth it can also be a severe emotional, physical stress or an illness. Some of us with the genes never develop it. Since you have been symptomatic for a year chances are that you developed it a year ago. Try not to worry too much, stay on gluten until after your endo is done and then as soon as the test is finished start on the diet. You don't need to wait for the results to begin. You can use the time before the endo to learn what you need to learn about the lifestyle and what you need to do to keep yourself safe. Do also encourage other family members to be tested.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

If you have asymptomatic celiac, as far as I know there is no way of telling how long you have had it. It is true that some babies are born with it, but people are diagnosed with celiac at various stages of life, and the onset of symptomatic celiac usually requires a 'trigger' of some kind - physical trauma, infection, stress, childbirth are examples of triggers.

Since the disease appears to be entirely genetically based, you will have inherited at least one celiac gene from either your mother or father. However, possession of the gene does not automatically guarantee that you will develop the disease, unless it is 'triggered'.

His comment about your height relates to the fact that celiac children generally have growth problems, both in height and weight.

So yes, it is possible that your disease has only just been triggered and you have not done much damage. In fact, a lot of people test positive for blood antibodies and negative on biopsy because there has not been enough damage to the villi in the small intestine (measured on the Marsh scale) to confirm a diagnosis of celiac. Most wise doctors will tell you not to eat gluten anyway if you have positive blood antibodies, especially if you have resolution of symptoms with the diet.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Thanks for your responses! I have been pretty stressed the last couple years (trying to decide if we want kids). It has been on my mind a ton and I still don't know for sure. I wonder if that contributed!

Positive TTG IGA blood test 8/13/10

Endoscopy confirmed 8/31/10

Started gluten-free diet 9/1/10