Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kaique

Need Help With Test Results

Hi,

I just got a blood screen test:

Gliadin IgA antibodies 3.6, reference range <12

Gliadin IgG antibodies 17.1, reference range <12

Transglutaminase IgA AB 1.8, reference range <10

So the IgG was the only one above normal range. My doctor doesn't seem to think I require a biopsy, but says I'm probably "gluten intolerant". However I've had symptoms for the past year or so and I have a daughter who is a confirmed by biopsy severe celiac. I thought it would be good to get a formal diagnosis, since I have a first degree blood relative, and I wondered what everyone thought? I don't know how abnormal my IgG really is - do you think I need a biopsy? Thanks so much for your help in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Did your doctor test your total IGA? If that is low that would cause a false negative on the IGA testing. With a firmly diagnosed first degree relative I would forgo the biopsy and just get on the diet. The biopsy does have a chance of a false negative also so it may not give you a correct answer. If you are going to want to biopsy then keep eating gluten until the day that is done. After you are done with testing get yourself on the diet strictly.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

i second Ravenwood.... your numbers look to me like u MAY be low on your Iga...

u could also test for Endomysial Antibodies

any further blood or biopsy tests require u to be consuming enough gluten for 2-3 months

some people need that official diagnosis to be strict on the diet (im one of them)... but your daughter's diagnosis, and how u feel may be enough to get on the diet.

??? good luck

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

The gene test would be good to run too.

As long as they test for more than just DQ2 or DQ8. Many doctors only test for those 2 celiac associated genes and research is showing many, many more are associated. The last article I read stated they had now found 27. Gene testing can be part of the diagnostic process but it is not definative for diagnosis.

If you do gene testing it would be a good idea to also test your daughter at the same time. That way if she has one or two of the less commonly recognized genes you will know what her's are also.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

Hi there

I'm new to this. I just had a celiac disease panel done and got my results. Tomorrow I go in for a lactose tolerance test.

This is what the celiac disease panel says

TTG AB, IGA My Value= <3 Standard range is blank

IGA, SERUM My Value 221 Standard range 81-463 mg/dl

GLIADIN AB IGA My Value 3 Standard range 81-463 mg/dl

Can anyone tell me what this means? I just had blood drawn no other testing so far.

Thanks so much

Hello there. Your test means you have normal amounts of IgA overall and no celiac antibodies in your blood.

What she said but there are false negatives with blood testing even with a normal total IGA. When you are done with all testing give the diet a shot.

Gene Test Aug 2007

What she said but there are false negatives with blood testing even with a normal total IGA. When you are done with all testing give the diet a shot.

Raven's totally right. Notice I didn't say "you don't have celiac". The antibodies don't always make it from your intestinal lining to your bloodstream for the doctors to find. It's good to try the diet anyway.