This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Naturopaths And Metrametrix

danaf617

danaf617 Explorer

I am gluten-free/DF and things just still aren't right. I decided to make an appointment with a Naturopath. I got her name from a woman I spoke with for over an hour in the gluten-free aisle of Wegman's. :lol: Her son is on the Autism spectrum and she keeps him (and herself, and hubby) on a diet free from gluten, casein, corn, soy and a whole bunch of other things.

My gastro dx'ed me with post-infectious IBS and the first thing the naturopath said was, "Why does he assume it's POST-infectious anything? How can he know the infection has left your body?"

Gastro has never ordered a stool test for parasites or bacteria or anything like that. The naturopth was baffled by that. At our first appointment, she gave me the test kit for Metametrix's Microbial profile test. She's looking for parasites, bacteria, yeast, and fungi.

Does anybody have any experience with a Naturopath or Metametrix?

My husband wasn't thrilled with the idea of paying out-of-pocket for things when we have great insurance but I'm willing to do just about anything at this point. Almost 9 straight months of misery!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

curiousgirl Contributor

I am gluten-free/DF and things just still aren't right. I decided to make an appointment with a Naturopath. I got her name from a woman I spoke with for over an hour in the gluten-free aisle of Wegman's. :lol: Her son is on the Autism spectrum and she keeps him (and herself, and hubby) on a diet free from gluten, casein, corn, soy and a whole bunch of other things.

My gastro dx'ed me with post-infectious IBS and the first thing the naturopath said was, "Why does he assume it's POST-infectious anything? How can he know the infection has left your body?"

Gastro has never ordered a stool test for parasites or bacteria or anything like that. The naturopth was baffled by that. At our first appointment, she gave me the test kit for Metametrix's Microbial profile test. She's looking for parasites, bacteria, yeast, and fungi.

My husband wasn't thrilled with the idea of paying out-of-pocket for things when we have great insurance but I'm willing to do just about anything at this point. Almost 9 straight months of misery!

I have an appointment with a naturopath tomorrow, Tuesday. Let's keep in touch on this.

burdee Enthusiast

YES, I've done done 4 Metametrix DNA microbial stool tests. I also had persistent gastrointestinal symptoms after being diagnosed with celiac and 6 other food allergies and obsessively abstaining from all those foods. After years of misdiagnoses by traditional docs, I went to a naturopath for food allergy tests. and also got stool test for gut bugs.

Initially he used another lab's stool test, which wasn't as accurate. On 4 different tests that lab considered my candida levels 'normal'. Metametrix doesn't consider any significant amount of candida normal. Also their tests can detect parasites with one test sample. Other lab tests usually require 3 days of successive stool samples to detect parasites.

Over the past 3 years my Metametrix stool tests have detected 2 parasites (cryptosporidia and dientamoeba fragils), candida, and 3 different pathogenic bacteria (clostridium difficile, achlorobacter and H. pylori). I've successfully treated all those 'gut bugs' except the dientamoeba, for which I've had 4 treatments. I need to take another stool test to verify whether the d-frag parasite is gone now.

My first naturopath knew celiac disease and food allergies, and offered stool tests to diagnose parasites, bacteria and fungus. However, he gave me misinformation about taking probiotics, very conservative treatment, and dismissed my reported symptoms as 'stress' 2 years in a row, when I really had very serious parasitic (cryptosporidia) and bacterial (c-diff) infections. So this year I found another naturopath, who knows more about treating gut bugs and wants to figure out why I keep getting these infections.

So there are skilled and clueless naturopaths as well as accurate and less accurate stool tests. Metametrix is one of the best. With many diagnoses they list treatments for your specific 'bug'. Getting your 'gut bugs' accurately diagnosed and treated will save you years of doctor visits and expense.

danaf617 Explorer

burdee- thanks for your reply. I'm happy to hear a good review of the lab. I don't want any gut bugs but I certainly am hoping for an answer! Having stomach pains every day just can't be normal.

I'm hoping I found a good naturopath but it's too early to tell. I was pretty happy when she rolled her eyes after telling her that my gastro also mentioned stress/anxiety as a cause for symptoms. I will be hightailing it out of there is she says that too. ;)

curiousgirl- good luck and let us know how the appointment goes!

curiousgirl Contributor

burdee- thanks for your reply. I'm happy to hear a good review of the lab. I don't want any gut bugs but I certainly am hoping for an answer! Having stomach pains every day just can't be normal.

I'm hoping I found a good naturopath but it's too early to tell. I was pretty happy when she rolled her eyes after telling her that my gastro also mentioned stress/anxiety as a cause for symptoms. I will be hightailing it out of there is she says that too. ;)

curiousgirl- good luck and let us know how the appointment goes!

Thank you danaf617, et. al. This Metametrix...that sounds like a lab. i was referred to Quest last time i went to see him.

Archived