Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mercury6

New Food Intolerances

Last year I discovered I was gluten intolerant. I've done my best to stick to a strict gluten free diet ever since. As many of you already know there's a learning curve to account for, but I felt so much better it was worth sticking to. Lingering symptoms however, prompted me to see an allergist, who advised me to eliminate additional foods. Recently, I learned I cannot tolerate soy and now it seems dairy may be giving me problems.

I have no energy. I can't focus, I'm tired all the time and I don't sleep well. I'm not depressed, but I have little inclination to do much of anything. My appetite seems to be waning more and more all the time. I have little interest in food at all. I do try to eat whole foods; fruits and vegetables when I can. When I do make the effort to prepare a meal, I regret it almost immediately, despite avoiding problem foods. Eating just seems to hurt too often.

I don't understand what's happening to me. Every time I eliminate one trigger, another pops up in its place. I'm living on kefir and tea. I'm going back to my gastroenterologist in a few weeks, but I'm not very hopeful. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experience?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This happened to me. I cut out gluten, then dairy, then soy and corn. Still, I was having painful stomach cramps. After awhile, everything I ate or drank gave me cramps.

I started a specific carbohydrate diet because I thought that I might have bacterial overgrowth. It's working. I don't have a diagnosis (yet), but my pain is responding to the diet.

You should consider 1) bacterial overgrowth, or 2) colitis. Both of these can be diagnosed by a doctor.

You sound a lot like I did a few months back. I am now 3 months in to an elimination diet, and I have had periods of feeling amazing, and have identified some intoleranced I didn't know about before. If you're interested, have a look for a post of mine about the RPA elimination diet, as it's a complex diet to explain and I gave some detail about it there.

Also, have you had your nutrient levels checked? I have spent a long time on a rollercoaster of iron and B12 deficiency, and they really impact on my energy and appetite when they're low. It would be a good idea to get some blood tests done if you haven't already, as these sorts of deficiencies are all too common for us.

Another thing I looked into recently was whether I might have low stomach acid. That can impact on digestion and appetite, and cause food intolerances as it allows undigested food lower into the digestive tract where it shouldn't be. I don't think that's a problem for me now my system is better on the diet, but it could be worth a look.

Hope you find something that helps, I know how frustrating it is to feel worse and worse when you are trying so hard!

This happened to me. I cut out gluten, then dairy, then soy and corn. Still, I was having painful stomach cramps. After awhile, everything I ate or drank gave me cramps.

I started a specific carbohydrate diet because I thought that I might have bacterial overgrowth. It's working. I don't have a diagnosis (yet), but my pain is responding to the diet.

You should consider 1) bacterial overgrowth, or 2) colitis. Both of these can be diagnosed by a doctor.

Yes, I'm at the point where everything I eat gives me stomach cramps. Thank you so much for your response and your suggestions. You have no idea how much I appreciate the help. I will definitely talk more with my doctor about it. I'm also going to look into the diet.

You sound a lot like I did a few months back. I am now 3 months in to an elimination diet, and I have had periods of feeling amazing, and have identified some intoleranced I didn't know about before. If you're interested, have a look for a post of mine about the RPA elimination diet, as it's a complex diet to explain and I gave some detail about it there.

Also, have you had your nutrient levels checked? I have spent a long time on a rollercoaster of iron and B12 deficiency, and they really impact on my energy and appetite when they're low. It would be a good idea to get some blood tests done if you haven't already, as these sorts of deficiencies are all too common for us.

Another thing I looked into recently was whether I might have low stomach acid. That can impact on digestion and appetite, and cause food intolerances as it allows undigested food lower into the digestive tract where it shouldn't be. I don't think that's a problem for me now my system is better on the diet, but it could be worth a look.

Hope you find something that helps, I know how frustrating it is to feel worse and worse when you are trying so hard!

I had numerous tests a year or so ago, and a recent CBC, but it looks as though I need to follow up. I will look further into the RPA elimination diet. Thank you so very much for the suggestion. And yeah, it is frustrating. I appreciate that you understand. Thanks again!