Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nancy19

I Think I Have Celiac

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yea it does sound like your in the right place. There are a lot of folks on the board that have thyroid issues as it is not uncommon for us to have more than one autoimmune disorder at a time. I hope you get done with testing soon. Make sure you keep up on the gluten until all your tests are done and once all testing is finished give the diet a good strict try. Read as much as you can here and feel free to ask any questions you need to.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Wow! That was really a high TSH level.

I attribute my hyperparathyroidism to gluten intolerance or Celiac. I was tested for Celiac after I had been off gluten for a long time and was just getting sick from cross contamination. However, since hyperparathyroidism is an autoimmune disorder and so is Celiac, I figure that is what I have.

Wow! That was really a high TSH level.

Sigh... I'm getting REALLY confused about these Thyroid levels and what they mean... My TSH in July was 2.32; then in September it went to 4.35. When I pointed this out to doctor, she said "TSH goes up, TSH goes down; means nothing." ??? Just had additional blood work done with following results:

Thyroxine (T4) 6.9 range 4.5-12.0

Triiodothyronine (T3) 101 range 71-180

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 9 range 0-34

Selenium, Blood 284 range 100-340

Vitamin D, 25 Hydrox. 23.6 (Low) range 32-100

ANA Direct Negative

The only thing obviously out of range on these results is the Vitamin D, at 23.6.

It had been at 22 in July, so I started taking a D-supplement for a while; then it was at 31.8 in early September, so doc said I could stop it. Now it's back down to 23.6?

Can anybody make any sense of any of these results? Am exhausted from blood tests and arm has been badly bruised for a week, since the latest blood draws. (Is BRUISING a sign of anything related to vitamin deficiency and/or celiac disease?)

Thanks for any input.

Thanks to Sarah at personalizedcause.com for allowing me to adapt their beautiful green Celiac Awareness ribbon as my "avatar" graphic.

The only thing obviously out of range on these results is the Vitamin D, at 23.6.

It had been at 22 in July, so I started taking a D-supplement for a while; then it was at 31.8 in early September, so doc said I could stop it. Now it's back down to 23.6?

Can anybody make any sense of any of these results? Am exhausted from blood tests and arm has been badly bruised for a week, since the latest blood draws. (Is BRUISING a sign of anything related to vitamin deficiency and/or celiac disease?)

Thanks for any input.

I don't understand why your doctor would tell you to stop supplementing D when you were still below the lowest end of normal. I would get back on the supplements and stay on them until you are fully healed and the test results are at least in the center of the range or a bit above.

Yes easy bruising can be caused by vit deficienies and you should be taking a good multivitamin. Gluten Free of course.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I don't understand why your doctor would tell you to stop supplementing D when you were still below the lowest end of normal. I would get back on the supplements and stay on them until you are fully healed and the test results are at least in the center of the range or a bit above.

Yes easy bruising can be caused by vit deficienies and you should be taking a good multivitamin. Gluten Free of course.

Hi ravenwoodglass,

The only explanation I can come up with about the doctor(s)' advice/treatment is that I, like many people here and elsewhere, have been wasting my time with very UNhelpful (and probably inadequate/quacky) doctors, period. (!)

Anyway, yes, I have resumed the Vitamin D supplements; and I've taken a "good multivitamin" (NatureMade Multi) daily for decades. (Can't say for a fact that they have helped, but who knows what shape I'd be in if I had NOT been taking them!?) They seem to have a good balance of all essential vitamins and minerals. In addition, I take: B6, B12, Folic Acid, Grape Seed Extract, Biotin, and Magnesium. Just changed to sublingual B12, to see if that makes any difference, and am upping Biotin to 2-3 mg. a day. Also now taking Vitamin D again. Also taking MSM once or twice a day. (And as needed, I take Black Walnut Hulls, Slippery Elm Bark, Marshmallow, White Willow, and Hawthorne.) That makes for a LOT of pill-swallowing--not to mention cost of supplements!! Hope to see some improvement one of these days (months? years?)...

P.S. The bruising could (?) also possibly be related to the baby aspirin I've been taking lately to help with atrial fibrillations, at suggestion of cardio doc. (Although I haven't taken any aspirin for a couple days and I find new bruises all the time.)

Thanks to Sarah at personalizedcause.com for allowing me to adapt their beautiful green Celiac Awareness ribbon as my "avatar" graphic.