Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChristineSelhi

Dna Test Advice

Hi All,

I got a DNA test back in 2004 that told me I was nonceliac. I just called to get the test results to really understand what the diagnosis was, because I have been gluten free ever since, and have had a number of nurses and doctors tell me that I still exhibit symptoms of the disease.

I tested negative for DQ2 and DQ8. Does this mean I do not have celiac? Also, I have heard a couple of different things about the percentage of people with celiac disease who have these genes. I have heard anything from 85%-99%. Any words of wisdom?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

DQ2s and DQ8s make up the majority from what ive read, they're considered the "classic" genes... but just because you dont have those 2, doesnt mean you cant have celiac!

there's members on this forum with celiac and different genes. from what ive read, there's like 27 DQ genes that are linked to gluten sensitivity/intolerance. and it seems as tho doctors in Europe are ahead of the game as far as recognizing other DQ genes in Celiac.

but also, too, the genes are only part of it-

did you also get any antibodies tests?? or just the genes?

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

I have a different issue. I have the HLA-DQ8 genetic marker, and oodles of symptoms that went away once I went gluten-free last fall. My celiac panel and endoscopy biopsy were negative for celiac, although the tests were flawed. Not all people diagnosed with celiac have HLA-DQ2 or DQ8; as the previous poster indicated, there are other probable genetic markers. There is very little research that has been conducted on celiac and gluten sensitivity. The symptoms are so varied and complex that it is very likely the genetic imprint is as well. It is frustrating not having a diagnosis, but it is important to trust how your body feels. The FDA just approved a new test for celiac that hopefully is more accurate than most of the current ones, especially for those of us that are gluten-free and will not do the gluten challenge.

I had already started the gluten free diet by the time I could have any antibody tests done. I am so sensitive that I break out from just crumbs on a stick of butter, and I get sick for days from small CC, so I wasn't willing to go back on. So, I guess I have to live with what I got. Either way, I don't eat gluten. Thanks for your reply!

Can someone tell me where to get this DNA test?

If your insurance covers it your doctor can order it, but please understand that the genetic test is not diagnostic for celiac. It also does not rule it out. We don't know enough about the genetics yet, or what triggers celiac in people with the genes we think are involved. All that's known is that certain HLA-DQ alleles confer somewhat more risk for celiac disease than others.

https://myceliacid.com/ offers testing as does http://enterolab.com. I think you can also order it from Kimball. http://www.kimballgenetics.com/tests-celiacdisease.html They test for different subsets of the celiac genes, so you might read up some on the tests and decide what you want to know before you order.

The FDA just approved a new test for celiac that hopefully is more accurate than most of the current ones, especially for those of us that are gluten-free and will not do the gluten challenge.

What is this test called??

Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011