Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RideAllWays

Nuts In Shell?

Was given a bag of nuts still in the shells and didn't even think to read it (usually I am super overthetop careful), so I've been munching away happily and thought hm maybe I should check...

"May Contain Wheat"

SERIOUSLY???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Was given a bag of nuts still in the shells and didn't even think to read it (usually I am super overthetop careful), so I've been munching away happily and thought hm maybe I should check...

"May Contain Wheat"

SERIOUSLY???

Sounds like they're covering all the bases, huh? Major CYA statement in case the shells are covered in flour or something...huh.gif

Sylvia

Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009

Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010

Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

"May Contain Wheat"

SERIOUSLY???

My guess is that they also process nuts and add flavouring, which may contain wheat, and want to cover their bases. Also some companies that make packs of nuts also seem to make cracker and nut mixes, which would have wheat.

Goes to show you just can't trust anything! Hopefully you haven't been glutened, if the shells are intact and they seemed clean then you might get away with it.

Well so far I feel fine, the shells were all intact and yah I guess the company is covering their butts because it also lists dairy, shellfish, and eggs under the "may contain". I'm paranoid now though...guess I won't eat them. I don't really see how it could get in through the shell and contaminate the nuts but it it was on the outside then cracking them I'm sure would contaminate? Maybe I could wash them?

I would take it as a CYA legal disclaimer and not worry about it. YMMV.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007