This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newbie Looking For Help!

Jennirube

Jennirube Newbie

I was wondering if anyone else had been told they were at moderate risk for Celiac after having the Celiac Genetic test done. My new GI ran the test and wants me to stay on Gluten free diet since I feel better on it. They still don't know if I have it or not but that I may have a gluten sensitivity though. I have had all the tests done for celiac and they have come back negative. they told me then it was Gerd but the meds never helped I was still suffering and bloated all the time. When I finally did the gluten free diet is when I finally felt at my best. I also have vitamin D and b-12 deficiency along with Pernicious anemia. Anyone else have problems like this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jecka Newbie

Ditto...been back and forth feeling god to bad to worse to maybe better not sure and vitamin deficient. My mother has celiac and feels with my symptoms I do as well. I had a negative blood test no endo done but a possible DNA link of "that I may be susceptible to a gluten intolerance" I went gluten-free once before for about a month, excema cleared up, felt lighter and clearer, allergies were better. Went back to eating gluten so I could have accurate tests done...nothing confirmed so I went back to doing gluten-free diet. It's been over a week and I've been really good about it but this time I feel Awful!!! Wondering if some of the gluten-free bread and gluten-free products are causing a new reaction. I eat mostly veggies, not a big pasta or sandwich person but I feel awful, hope it doesn't last!

I was diagnosed with IBS and having GERD years ago which neither EVER bothered me, thought it was just a diagnosis to tell me something... but tI feel like now I have the GERD as I keep burping, feel like something is stuck in my throat or clogging behind my breastbone and I feel short of breath. I'm 36 and an active runner and yoga enthusiast. I feel like I'm a 100 with the way I feel. Was thinking of going back on gluten as this sucks just as much! Anything I've read thus far n here has been mostly about folks getting "glutened" and I'm certain that's not it as I've been perfectly careful but I do feel awful. I can only pin it all down to stress....

Dixiebell Contributor

Maybe you are having withdrawl symptoms.

Skylark Collaborator

I was wondering if anyone else had been told they were at moderate risk for Celiac after having the Celiac Genetic test done. My new GI ran the test and wants me to stay on Gluten free diet since I feel better on it. They still don't know if I have it or not but that I may have a gluten sensitivity though. I have had all the tests done for celiac and they have come back negative. they told me then it was Gerd but the meds never helped I was still suffering and bloated all the time. When I finally did the gluten free diet is when I finally felt at my best. I also have vitamin D and b-12 deficiency along with Pernicious anemia. Anyone else have problems like this?

Feeling healthy on the gluten-free diet and sick eating gluten is pretty much the definition of non-celiac gluten intolerance. As your doctor says, if it makes you sick, don't eat it! I wish most doctors had that much common sense to offer their patients.

Jecka - Try to stick to unprocessed whole foods. You might be into a gluten withdrawal, or you might be sensitive to the gums and unusual flours in gluten-free foods. I hope things settle down for you.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Zackery Brian
    Newest Member
    Zackery Brian
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Fluka66
      Thank you very much for your reply. I hadn't heard of celiac disease but began to notice a pattern of pain. I've been on the floor more than once with agonising pain but this was always put down to another abdominal problem consequently I've been on a roundabout of backwards and forwards with another consultant for many years. I originally questioned this diagnosis but was assured it was the reason for my pain. Many years later the consultant gave up and I had a new GP. I started to cut out certain food types ,reading packets then really started to cut out wheat and went lactose free. After a month I reintroduced these in one meal and ended screaming in agony the tearing and bloating pain. With this info and a swollen lymph node in my neck I went back to the GP.  I have a referral now . I have also found out that acidic food is causing the terrible pain . My thoughts are this is irritating any ulcers. I'm hoping that after a decade the outlook isn't all bad. My blood test came back with a high marker but I didn't catch what it was. My GP and I have agreed that I won't go back on wheat just for the test due to the pain , my swollen lymph node and blood test results.  Trying to remain calm for the referral and perhaps needed to be more forceful all those years ago but I'm not assertive and consultants can be overwhelming. Many thanks for your reply . Wishing you all the best.
    • Moodiefoodie
      Wow! Fascinating info. Thanks so much! I really appreciate the guidance. @Spacepanther Over the years I have had rheumatologists do full lab work ups on me. They told me they had screened me for arthritis, lupus, and Lyme disease (all negative). In addition to joint pain and stiffness I had swelling in both knees that later moved to my elbow as well.  I also experience stiffness and pain in my neck and shoulders when it flares. I vomited fairly often growing up, but there wasn’t a real pattern to it and I didn’t know it wasn’t normal (thought people caught stomach viruses often).  I don’t usually have stomach symptoms immediately after eating gluten that I notice.  The only other joint condition I know of is fibromyalgia. Good luck! Hope you can get it figured out. I only assumed my joint symptoms were due to the celiac’s because it is under control for the most part on a gluten-free diet.  The rheumatologist also mentioned that some inflammatory/autoimmune diseases can be slow-moving and not detectable until they progress.
    • knitty kitty
      @Spacepanther, I found these articles about the connection between Celiac and joint pain. Musculoskeletal Complications of Celiac Disease: A Case-Based Review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10201087/ And   Intestinal microbiome composition and its relation to joint pain and inflammation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6814863/ And The gut microbiome-joint connection: implications in osteoarthritis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6903327/ Sounds like it's time to change the diet to change the microbiome.
    • knitty kitty
      @Shireen32,  Take some deep breaths.  Your labs are fine!  Your tTg IgA is so low!  Well done!  Your endomysial IgA is fine.  There's not a level on the endomysial test.  It's just "yes or no" for if you have celiac disease.   No, it's too early to call it refractory. What are you eating?  Please tell us more than meat and veg. Do you consume dairy? Do you consume processed gluten free foods?   Are you taking any prescription medications, herbal supplements, vitamins and minerals?  
    • Spacepanther
      thank you knitty kitty I don't have a vitamin deficiency and I supplement omegas.  Are there other more mild symptoms that co-occur with your joint pain as well @Moodiefoodie? I am suspicious my own joint pain could be related to another autoimmune issue. I am wondering if it is Crohn's or something similar because I've continued to experience some issues despite having normal celiac antibody levels. What have you considered?