This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Game

tarnalberry

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've been thinking for some time that I wanted to take on a little coding project at home, since my current work tasks have exercised zero of my coding skills. Originally, the thought was to do something along the lines of Open Original Shared Link, but better at keeping track of recipes, since there's so much cooking from scratch on this diet (my take on this diet, anyway). But then someone posted that cute little game for identifying hidden gluten in the kitchen, and there were comments on it being a great start, but missing so much, and I thought... hey, there's a coding project!

So, the thought that I had was to come up with an online game - or series of games - that teaches about the disease. It could be like the game that is already up on that site, it could be more like a quiz type thing, it could be more like a board game, it could be more like a puzzle game... I just don't know yet.

What I'd like the most help with is figuring out what sort of information should it cover? If you were new to the disease, what would you want to see? If you were moderately familiar with it? What would you find helpful or fun to see in an educational game? Any ideas or suggestions would be great!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Very cool... uhh, I don't know where to start. Just saying that it's great that you'll do something like that for us and keep us posted! I'll sleep on this one.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Oh...if you do something similar when it comes to reading labels, you should have a few options, maybe like: gluten-free, not gluten-free, or phone the company. Also, maybe say that you have to say each ingredient is gluten-free or not, so it's methodical (or make the person identify the questionable and non-gluten-free ingredients.

I'll still think some more on this one.

Guest Leidenschaft

What a neat idea, when I first read the subject line my thought was board game... :P I'm not sure I know what you mean by coding?

I could visualize a kitchen where you could point and click on different items to identify possible gluten and contamination risks... am I on the right track?? :blink:

For instance, in a shared kitchen, the coffee pot being too close to the "bad" toaster... recipe cards and books dusted with wheat flour...? That sort of thing that people may not consider.

Hope this helps! :D

tarnalberry Community Regular

what a geek I am ;-)

"coding" means writing a computer program. :-) I'd use Java (a programming language) so it was able to play over the 'net on anyone's operating system.

coeliacinfostand Newbie

If you are embarking on a project like this, could you please make it work in metric units as well as the feet, inches, pounds and ounces etc. still being used in the USA! (and use killojoules instead of calories!)

I find grams, litres, millimeters, meters etc a whole lot easier to calculate.

Alan

Archived