This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My NYC Area List

pshifrin

pshifrin Apprentice

I've been gluten-free for 1 year. Here's my list of favorite places to eat out, i'm sure some have been mentioned already on here already. We live in Westchester County, NY but I'm going to cover some other Metro Area places, all non-chain.

Westchester

- Chinese: Golden Wok Too in Ardsley. A massive gluten-free menu including Sesame Chicken. You know, that golden brown FRIED in the dark brown sauce Chicken! We eat here way too often.

- Italian: Enzo's in Armonk. Pasta, Entrees, Pizza. You name it, they'll make it. Open Original Shared Link

NYC:

- Tulu's Bakery on 11th St & 1st Ave. Red Velvet Cupcakes even "regular" people can't tell the difference.

- Mozzarellis 23rd & Madison. gluten-free Pizza by the slice, 12 different kinds, are you kidding me?!!! Homemade crust. Puts all other gluten-free Pizza to shame. Open Original Shared Link

- Chinese: Lilli & Loo on Lex and 61st. Very good but menu not as extensive as the place in Westchester.

Long Island:

-Italian: Cafe Rustica in Great Neck. gluten-free Chicken Parm, Pastas, Soups, etc.

-Italian: Buona Sera in Smithtown. Very large gluten-free Menu including chicken parm (fried!). This place is so good. They brought out bread to the table and I asked to send it back reminding them I was gluten-free. The waiter said "no sir, it's gluten-free." I did a double take. This bread looked, felt and tasted like real Italian bread with the little sesame seeds on top, the crispy crust and the soft white insides. Upon close inspection you can tell it's gluten-free but i've never had it better anywhere. Open Original Shared Link

Greenwich Ct:

- Meli-Melo, a Crepe place in Greenwich. They have two different kinds of gluten-free Crepes, one for the savory crepes and one for the dessert crepes. It's an amazing place! Open Original Shared Link

Albany:

- Sherry Lynn's Gluten Free Cafe. The entire freaking place is gluten-free. Order anything and just don't worry. Need i say more? Open Original Shared Link

Saratoga Springs:

- KD's Fish Fry. Want to be gluten-free and completely unhealthy at the same time? Go here for Fried Shrimp, Clams, Onion Rings, Chicken, etc, etc. Open Original Shared Link Also good for people with other allergy's. Update: they closed in October. What a shame.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I too live in Westchester and if you don't mind, I thought I'd add a few recommendations to your list.

Westchester:

97 Lake (West Harrison) - This is a new sports bar in West Harrison. The entire menu is gluten free. The only difference is the bread. The owner has celiac so you're assured that he knows what he's doing. This is quickly becoming a favorite. I've eaten there twice in the last few weeks and got wings & mac n cheese for takeout!

Rays Cafe (Rye) - Chinese.... although I second Golden Wok. I LOVE that place. Their gluten-free menu is huge!

Rye Bar & Grill (Rye) - They don't have a gluten-free menu, but they are very aware of gluten issues and are extremely nice and helpful. They do have a gluten-free button installed on their POS system to alert the kitchen of gluten-free orders.

Epsteins (Yonkers) - Kosher Delicatessen & sit down restaurant.

Halstead Avenue Bistro - Upscale American Fare. This is a nice (small) restaurant for special occasions.

Long Island:

Cafe Formaggio (Westbury) - Italian. Delicious. Huge menu

Mama's (Oakdale) - Italian. Also delicious with a huge menu. This is a must stop for me on my way to / from Montauk in the summer.

NYC:

Risotteria - Is there anyone that doesn't know about this place yet? LOL! I've actually seen tour guides mention it while waiting for a table.

Babycakes - Mmmmm! I could eat their donuts and blueberry crumb cake everyday : )

I could add lots more, but I currently have "what do I need to finish cooking for Thanksgiving" brain blockage. I'll add more as I think of them.

Archived