Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheryl_C

Gluten-Free Open House

Hi everyone,

This weekend we are having a Christmas open house at my place. Aside from a baby shower in September, this is the first party I've had since going gluten-free. Normally, our friends and family bring plates to share; it is not requested, but it's generally what happens.

Anyway, I'm looking for a way to say "Please don't bring anything" without making it sound like I'm expecting people to bring something! Difficult! I've taken a lot of time to plan everything to be totally gluten-free, and I don't want any cc. I have a couple of friends who are great about it and will probably bring something, but other than that, I worry.

Suggestions? What if someone shows up with garlic bread??? :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You could make it BYOB, no dish necessary? Or even just tell people why.."Come experience a gluten-free Christmas" or something of the like. I'm sure friends would understand!

My exact problem. I think I will specifically have to call the ones that ususally bring stuff and explain. I was thinking about putting on the info: Due to food allergies, please do not bring a dish to share. I've got it covered!

I didn't want to say gluten-free because I am afraid people will try to make something gluten-free. The only neighbor I trust really understands that is the one that runs PF Changs.

I might write something like "I'm doing all the cooking this year so you don't need to bring anything! If you are really want to bring something, a beverage to share would be great."

To be honest, I hold a lot of parties and I just dish out my own gluten-free food early in the evening. Then I don't worry about what arrives. I do usually put breads, pastries, desserts, and other things that might have crumbs on a separate table outside of the kitchen (or outdoors if it's summertime). I watch the foods that arrive and if something is gluten-free and looks good I get a portion right away, before it gets CC'd. My friends even help me, by alerting me when new food that looks good arrives as they understand the CC issue.

And by the way, I entertain a LOT and have yet to get glutened at one of my own parties by doing this. Even better, a lot of my friends bring gluten-free foods now, like fruit, cheese, chips marked gluten-free, or even gluten-free cakes from Whole Foods. We have a casein sensitive friend too, so gluten-free/CF even appears.