Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sadiepants

Exercising?

I love to exercise, but i'm extremely iron deficient. I am on supplements but my doc says to be careful with exercising b/c of the lack of oxygen getting to my organs and muscles in particular. Anyone else have this problem? I want to lose this weight and I really think I need to exercise more! I'm about 2 months into my iron therapy!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If your iron levels have not improved enough to allow you to exercise, then you're not absorbing iron. Once you go gluten-free, it can take six months to more than a year for iron levels to normalize. In these circumstances, a doctor should consider ordering intravenous iron infusions once a week for four weeks. That builds the iron up to sufficient levels while the body's intestinal lining heals and is eventually capable of absorbing iron again. For me, I went through a two-year period when I simply could not absorb iron, so I insisted on receiving intravenous iron infusions--otherwise, I surely would have died.

Many doctors are unaware of this option. If yours has never heard of intravenous iron infusions, ask him to contact the infusion department of your local hospital--they will explain to him how these treatments work. You should not be left to suffer from iron anemia for such a lengthy period of time when there is a remedy easily at hand. Being iron deficient for a long period of time can have extremely detrimental effects on the body--your doctor needs to wake up and offer an immediate solution. If not, I would suggest that you find another, more knowledgeable doctor.

Alternatively, this could be a separate diet issue, ie: vegan or vegetarian diets.

How long have you been gluten-free? What exactly is your iron therapy utilizing? What sort of a diet do you eat?

Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

Alternatively, this could be a separate diet issue, ie: vegan or vegetarian diets.

How long have you been gluten-free? What exactly is your iron therapy utilizing? What sort of a diet do you eat?

Thanks for a fast reply! Well I've been on an iron supplement and gluten-free diet for about two months. I feel better so I think I am absorbing the iron just maybe not fast. I will definitely talk to my doctor about infusions because I would love to get this fixed as soon as possible. Well the diet is still a work in progess, I'm gettin better and better at not getting glutened. Basically I eat a lot of the same things because I'm scared to venture out and feel crappy, I eat a lot of eggs and veggies, sometimes fruit. I'm currently giving myself b12 injections because I'm also severely deficient in that as well. ugh I am feeling a lot better but I think I have a long road ahead of me.