This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Diagnosis

MMrea

MMrea Newbie

New to this forum. I just found out I have Celiac. I am scared and confused. It was diagnosed through blood work. i have several more test coming up. What are the odds of it causing cancer? Also should I have my two children aged 6 and 2 tested? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lincoln Rookie

Hey MMrea,

I have also recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease, I'm not too sure about the cancer but can tell you that coeliac disease in nothing to be scared of. Also it is hereditary so having your children tested is probably a very good idea. Please try not to fear this as it is not worth fearing, also there is no need to be confused, the internet is full of excellent information about coeliac disease just do a few google searchs. The gluten free lifestyle isn't the easiest to adjust to but once you figure out the ins and outs of it it is quite simple.

Welcome to the world of gluten-free.

Lincoln

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

At first it is so overwhelming. I had panic attacks when I went to the grocery store the first few times. I will be gluten free one year in January and it is so easy now. It's a steep learning curve at first and you feel like you're skiing downhill at top speed but very soon it gets to be your new normal.

The best part is feeling well and not being sick.

Here's a few tips.

1. Eat clean at first. You have a lot of gut damage that needs to heal and your body can't do that unless you give it the best fuel possible. Lean meats, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, plain rice. It's only for a short while and it will speed you on your way to health. You can pig out on gluten free cakes, gluten free donuts, gluten free mac and cheese, and gluten free pizza later when you are fully healed.

2. the tips of the villi are where you make lactase to digest dairy, so until that heals dairy may be out for a bit. I can eat it with no problem now after years of lactose intolerance.

3. Many also find they need to cut other things for awhile. I can't tolerate soy, except in small amounts like soy lecithin, but for awhile I had to cut dairy, soy, tapioca, xanthan gum and nightshades.

4. Use the search function on these forums and look at old threads. Look for withdrawals and newbies and things like that. Read read read read. You will learn FAR more on here from those of us who have been there done that than you will in any books you have to spend money on.

5. Find one pasta and one bread you like. My favorites are Tinkyada rice pasta and Gluten Free Pantry Basic White bread mix. That bread is also simple ingredients and I was able to tolerate it pretty early into the diet. It's super easy to make, not expensive and it tastes the most "normal" of any bread I've tried. You can actually make a regular sandwich out of it and it doesn't fall apart.

I also like Arrowhead Mills All Purpose baking mix for pancakes. I do one cup mix, one cup milk (or almond milk) and one egg. It already has the baking powder in it.

6. If your body acts weird don't freak out. You will have withdrawals and it will do strange things while you adjust. There was a period where every single thing I put in my mouth made me sick but it passed in about a week.

7. Start researching restaurants and find a few places ahead of time where you can eat out. Prepare now so that you aren't panicking when you are out somewhere and you need to eat.

8. Get used to taking food with you. Apples, bananas, nuts, oranges. Kettle Chips and Baked Kettle Chips are gluten free and travel great in the car. I love the baked ones a lot.

9. Honor your grieving process. At first you will feel deprived and you will go through many emotions. It passes and it's good to process it and come here to vent. We are here to listen if you need to rant.

10. Welcome to the best club you never wanted to join! It does get easier I promise!!!!

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Oh and if you are just dying for something sweet, Betty Crocker makes great gluten free mixes. Yellow cake, chocolate chip cookies, devils' food cake and brownies.

Here is a peanut butter cookie recipe that is incredible.

1 cup sugar.

1 cup peanut butter. I use the natural kind.

1 tsp baking powder

1 egg.

Roll the cookies into balls. flatten with a fork. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.

MMrea Newbie

Thanks for making me feel so welcomed here. I have lots of test coming up but hope I am on the road to recovery. I really appreciate you taking time to help me understand all this. Everything taste like cardboard, I guess you just have to get adjusted! Thanks again for all the support!

cassP Contributor

Thanks for making me feel so welcomed here. I have lots of test coming up but hope I am on the road to recovery. I really appreciate you taking time to help me understand all this. Everything taste like cardboard, I guess you just have to get adjusted! Thanks again for all the support!

like said above, it really is best to eat very clean & natural, and try not to eat gluten free treats & carbs on a daily basis... they're usually not healthy, and can be hard to digest too... HOWEVER, we are human, and need treats- just try to keep them to a minimun- think of them as "treats" and not staples.

also, wanted to add, that i LOVE Pamela's Vanilla Cake mix, AND Pamela's Chocolate Cake mix YUMMMMMMM... ive made both with homemade buttercream icing, and they were better than the real gluten thing! but dont get her brownie mix- i thought it was awful

welcome, and release your worries... really- once you've been gluten free for a bit and heal... you're just as healthy as the next person-> probably MORE healthy- think of all the people out there that may have Celiac or something else- but they dont have any symptoms so they dont know to eat right.

ya, just be happy- getting off gluten will change your life and also probably prevent you from getting even more diseases that can be triggered by gluten

Archived