Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarbee

Waiting For Blood Test

Hi everyone,

I have been diagnosed with IBS but the more I read about that is just an easy out for DR. I am told that I cannot be celiac because I am obese. that is a quote from a GI Dr. i left.

The symptoms I have are:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

u can have Celiac or Gluten Intolerance and be overweight for sure. i always was heavier while eating gluten and usually constipated... i would get the "D" with Milk products... but my body has always been the type to HALT metabolism and swell up when im sick or have "D"... very survival mode..

plus there's other things at play that could make u put on weight with gluten intolerance.. too many grains in the diet (esp wheat) can cause Insulin Resistance.. too much inflammation can raise your cortisol .. and just swell you up.. and if you have any Hashimoto's antibodies in your thyroid-> then Gluten can trigger that- slowing your thyroid down.

good luck, hope u find your answers !

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

well I just got the call they say that the test is negative. They said are you feeling better ? I said no I am not. Then they asked me did you just have mono, why would they ask that, I did not. And that I should follow up with a GI doctor. I have been doing this for three years now. I just want someone to tell me what is wrong with me. Thank you for the information. I guess I am back to square one. I will look in other directions.

Testing is not the total answer to celiac/gluten intolerance. There is at least a 20% error rate of false negatives. There are also conditions known as latent celiac or non-celiac gluten intolerance. Most of the people who do not tolerate gluten well are not celiacs - Dr. Rodney Ford estimates that 30% of the population is gluten intolerant to some extent. Give the gluten free diet a good trial and see if it works for you. You may be surprised. And eliminate lactose initially too because the two often go hand in hand until you are healed from the gluten damage.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009