This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Everyday Cookbook

freeatlast

freeatlast Collaborator

http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/Gluten-Free-Every-Day-Cookbook/dp/0740778137/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2WYV57UQSOZ1Q&colid=17D5LV8UGYM80

Anyone tried his cookbook? I've had it in my wish list on Amazon for over a year.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mattie-Jack Newbie

Along those lines, we're going to start up gluten-free tomorrow! If you had to purchase one gluten-free cookbook to get you started, family friendly, which one would you choose? I'm going to run and get it today.

Actually, I think it would be a baking book as everyday dinner recipes are pretty easy for me to figure out.

sa1937 Community Regular

Out of curiosity I just browsed through this Gluten Free Every Day Cookbook on Amazon. My greatest challenge is baking, not cooking, so I'm probably not inclined to buy it. I am curious to see what others have to say about it though. I keep adding things to my wish list all the time, especially based on other's recommendations. Ya, just what I need...another cookbook. lol tongue.gif

freeatlast Collaborator

Out of curiosity I just browsed through this Gluten Free Every Day Cookbook on Amazon. My greatest challenge is baking, not cooking, so I'm probably not inclined to buy it. I am curious to see what others have to say about it though. I keep adding things to my wish list all the time, especially based on other's recommendations. Ya, just what I need...another cookbook. lol tongue.gif

I know what you mean! I get most of my recipes off the internet--here and blogs and off of Twitter links.

sa1937 Community Regular

I know what you mean! I get most of my recipes off the internet--here and blogs and off of Twitter links.

So do I! I've printed off so many recipes that I need to start my own cookbook. Well, I've sorta done that already in a 3-ring notebook...only problem, nothing is organized. I even bought write-on dividers. So that's a good project for the dead of winter. (I may have to buy a larger notebook though).

But I'm still prone to pick up another new cookbook now and then based on recommendations. rolleyes.gif

sa1937 Community Regular

Along those lines, we're going to start up gluten-free tomorrow! If you had to purchase one gluten-free cookbook to get you started, family friendly, which one would you choose? I'm going to run and get it today.

Actually, I think it would be a baking book as everyday dinner recipes are pretty easy for me to figure out.

Good question. I've picked up a few but am too new yet to say I have one to die for. But I keep trying new recipes, especially for baking. Sheesh, I've been cooking forever so that's not the problem but baking is.

Let us know what you buy. I think I'd like the new Betty Crocker one...magazine-like...that's supposedly in the racks at the front of the grocery store. First I need to find it and then browse through it.

Mattie-Jack Newbie

I think I'll try your idea of searching this site and the internet. I'm also going to just substitute other gluten-free flours in recipes and see how they turn out. Perhaps heavy but it is worth a try for this novice. My pantry isn't stocked yet with the gluten-free mixes you have mentioned. Cornbread it is tomorrow! Happy New Year.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I think I'll try your idea of searching this site and the internet. I'm also going to just substitute other gluten-free flours in recipes and see how they turn out. Perhaps heavy but it is worth a try for this novice. My pantry isn't stocked yet with the gluten-free mixes you have mentioned. Cornbread it is tomorrow! Happy New Year.

Lots of recipes here and on blogs, as well as manufacturer's websites. I especially like Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix and have made a few things using it. They always turn out. I made corn muffins using it the other night...yummy!

Gluten-free baking is tricky and you'll also need xanthan gum (I use it more than guar gum) to try to replicate the elasticity of wheat so your baked things don't crumble and fall apart. If you have some successes, be sure to post your recipes for us to try! smile.gif And some things can be made without gluten-free flours at all...like flourless peanut butter cookies, flourless chocolate cake (a decadent bit of heaven), meringue cookies, crustless pies, etc.

Happy New Year to you, too!

freeatlast Collaborator

So do I! I've printed off so many recipes that I need to start my own cookbook. Well, I've sorta done that already in a 3-ring notebook...only problem, nothing is organized. I even bought write-on dividers. So that's a good project for the dead of winter. (I may have to buy a larger notebook though).

But I'm still prone to pick up another new cookbook now and then based on recommendations. rolleyes.gif

I've started one, too, but only hole punch and insert recipes I've tried and will use again. I have a whole stack I've printed out in the same drawer that I plan to try. I'm also trying to print two sided so I can keep the smaller binder in my drawer. Ha. Have not gotten around to dividers yet, but have often thought I should :)

freeatlast Collaborator

For me, my goal is to have ONE bread recipe that I LOVE that turns out everytime, which I have, one brownie recipe, check, one in all the major categories that I like to eat, cornbread, etc. Those will be my go to recipes. Everything else is fluff, lol, in my opinion. I like to bake but don't have time or patience to just keep trying new things all of the time b/c I've tried plenty that didn't turn out. It's a process.

Some of us should get together and do the celiac.com recipe booklet sometime--only recipes that turn out GREAT everytime :)

sa1937 Community Regular

For me, my goal is to have ONE bread recipe that I LOVE that turns out everytime, which I have, one brownie recipe, check, one in all the major categories that I like to eat, cornbread, etc. Those will be my go to recipes. Everything else is fluff, lol, in my opinion. I like to bake but don't have time or patience to just keep trying new things all of the time b/c I've tried plenty that didn't turn out. It's a process.

Some of us should get together and do the celiac.com recipe booklet sometime--only recipes that turn out GREAT everytime smile.gif

OK...fezz up! lol A great always-turns-out bread recipe is the one I keep searching for...and the one thing most often that I try new recipes!!! That does not mean I haven't made some perfectly edible breads as I have and some I want to go back and make again.

YES, a celiac.com recipe booklet sounds great!

freeatlast Collaborator

OK...fezz up! lol A great always-turns-out bread recipe is the one I keep searching for...and the one thing most often that I try new recipes!!! That does not mean I haven't made some perfectly edible breads as I have and some I want to go back and make again.

YES, a celiac.com recipe booklet sounds great!

Bette Hagman's Caraway Soda Bread turns out everytime for me. I love it. Others may not. It's not a loaf type bread. I don't eat sandwiches, so it works for me.

MelindaLee Contributor

For Christmas I got "easy gluten-free baking" by Elizabeth Barbone. She uses only simple easy to find ingredients. (not a ton of mixed flours) She is not a celiac, so tries to make her foods taste like the glutenous original and can actually try both to make sure it works.

I love my gluten-free Gourmet by Bette Hagman, too! Hers are just a bit more complicated as she has flour mixes.

Archived