Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zebaldwin

Should I Keep Eating Gluten Until I See A Gastroenterologist?

I'm kind of stuck right now. I am getting so excited relating to all of this, and this morning decided to start a gluten free diet...but should I try and make an appointment with a gastroenterologist and get tested before stopping? Please let me know what the right thing to do here is...Im just eager...maybe a little too much.

Also, if a test comes back negative, is celiacs still possible? thanks!

really praying that gluten is the problem...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, it is still possible to have celiac with negative tests. If you want to be tested you need to stay on your regular gluteney diet until the testing is done. Otherwise the antibodies will start declining and the testing won't work. There is around a 20% false negative test rate, so it is still good to do the gluten-free diet even if the tests are negative.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

thanks for the reply!

ya, I go back to school tomorrow, so next week I am going to get a referral for a gastroenterologist...

That brings me to another question, can my primary doctor do the testing or no? A lot of symptoms are non-digestive. Should I still go to a gastroenterologist?

Thanks so much for your help. I really hope this is my problem.

Your primary care doctor can order the blood testing - you want to ask for a full celiac panel:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

Aldo if possible the Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP).

Doctors often don't run the total serum IGA but this is important to validate the other results.

If the blood work is positive you will be referred to a GI for an endoscopy with biopsies to verify the diagnosis (checking for intestinal damage).

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Cool thank you mushroom!

Your primary care doctor can order the blood testing - you want to ask for a full celiac panel:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

Aldo if possible the Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP).

Doctors often don't run the total serum IGA but this is important to validate the other results.

If the blood work is positive you will be referred to a GI for an endoscopy with biopsies to verify the diagnosis (checking for intestinal damage).