Emily928

Education Materials For Restaurants, Caterers, Etc.

Rate this topic

I'm trying to locate some sort of document that I could give to caterers, hotel staff, etc. that would educate them on how to prepare a gluten free meal and potential sources for CC that they should watch out for. I feel like this should exist somewhere, but I've had no luck finding it.

I'm going to be attending a work "retreat" in a few weeks at a hotel (that's basically in the middle of nowhere), and I want to try to make sure I can eat safely. I contacted the person who's organizing the event and she sent me the menu and said the hotel assured me there would be staff there knowledgeable about ingredients and preparation of the food. For the first evening, an "Italian Buffet" is planned which of course includes spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna, fettuccine, pasta salad, ceasar salad, bread, some veggies, and other gluten-y desserts. So nothing's looking too promising, except possibly the veggies. I wanted to be able to find something I could send to the hotel before hand so they make sure to have something on hand that I can eat. I've got the triumph dining cards, but they're pretty small, so I'm wondering if there is something that's a little more comprehensive. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

The Australian Coeliac Society has these resources on their website. They might be a little too Australian specific for your needs (ie Australia has stricter food labelling laws than the U.S. and oats are a big no-no for coeliacs), but maybe you can cut and paste the info to make something that suits your needs.

http://www.coeliacsociety.com.au/foodservice/intro.html

http://www.coeliacsociety.com.au/downloads/S4%20-%20Catering%20for%20those%20with%20coeliac%20disease.pdf

Thanks Mack! Definitely helpful - you're right, a little "Australia-specific," like the parts about wheat dextrose and the gluten free label overriding the ingredient list. But still most of the information is applicable in the U.S. too. Anyone have any other ideas or tips? Thanks!