ie99

Think I Might Have Celiacs - Binge Eating, Mood Swings, Tummy Issues

Rate this topic

Hi, I'm new here and would just like some input. My symptoms aren't exactly typical or very extreme but I am hoping it is Celiac - hoping because that would mean there is a reason for it all and it can be solved by a simple change. Sorry this is long, hope someone reads.

I've always had some 'tummy issues', as long as I can remember. Bloated or nauseas after eating almost anything, often gassy and uncomfortable - I always thought I was just eating too much or not healthy enough. This sort of led to an eating disorder when I was 16 because I thought I should only eat until I'm full, only eat healthy things that don't cause stomach issues, but because of the bloating I got full so easily, so I ate so little and became very underweight. A year later, binge eating issues began, and depression/stress and mood swings a while later (though I used to be such a calm, laid back person). Now, almost age 20, I still struggle with binge eating, but alot less than i used to, though I am at a healthy weight (BMI 22, but probably have more fat than I should).

Anyway, the tummy issues continue, gassy and bloated, very bad after a binge but often after normal meals as well, though not as extreme. I am always have either mild constipation or mild diarhea. I am constantly under a 'mind fog' and feel sluggish most of the time, find it difficult to concentrate (grades gone down), and get mood swings, mostly crying spells. I began considering Celiac's as a cause when I read the long list of possible symptoms, there are so many, but mainly because of the stomach bloating. I can look extremely pregnant after eating a normal meal. I understand this is normal when someone is starved and refed, however it has been over 3 years since I stopped undereating and began making sure I get all my nutrients.

I also read it's hereditary. No one in my family is diagnosed a Celiac, however my father has self diagnosed himself with IBS, and my mother has Hashimoto's which I believe has some sort of connection with Celiacs?

Anyway, I've had a blood test and my iron turned out low, but I am still waiting for the celiac screen. so far I've only ever managed to go on a gluten free diet for a few days, and felt better, but that may have been due to eating 'clean' foods.

Any advice or insight?

IBS is not a diagnosis it is a symptom and yes your Dad and Mom could be celiac. It wouldn't be a bad idea for them both to at least get the blood tests done. If you are not going to get an endoscopy then keep up with the diet for a couple of months even if the blood tests are negative. Your symptoms could well be celiac and if the diet helps then you have your answer. However if you are going to get the endo go back on gluten ASAP since you need to be eating gluten for any chance of an accurate diagnosis.

I don't think I'll be doing an endoscopy. Well, I don't know how it works here. I am at university in the UK and the medical center tends to keep anything but simple tests to a minimum.

I find it difficult to stay on a gluten-free diet because I just think 'oh whatever, the effects aren't that bad' and it's true, I can still live my life and go wherever I need to and do whatever I need to, it's not disabling, just uncomfortable and annoying. I suppose some people don't feel a really bad effect from gluten until it's been cut out for ages already, right? I wonder how I'm supposed to know if it's a reaction to gluten, or how do I know if I'm ingesting any hidden glutens when I don't get crazy instant reactions?

Sorry that sounds a bit confusing

I don't think I'll be doing an endoscopy. Well, I don't know how it works here. I am at university in the UK and the medical center tends to keep anything but simple tests to a minimum.

I find it difficult to stay on a gluten-free diet because I just think 'oh whatever, the effects aren't that bad' and it's true, I can still live my life and go wherever I need to and do whatever I need to, it's not disabling, just uncomfortable and annoying. I suppose some people don't feel a really bad effect from gluten until it's been cut out for ages already, right? I wonder how I'm supposed to know if it's a reaction to gluten, or how do I know if I'm ingesting any hidden glutens when I don't get crazy instant reactions?

Sorry that sounds a bit confusing

You seem to be concentrating on GI symptoms when you say 'it's not disabling, just uncomfortable and annoying' but what about what it may be doing to your brain. You mention it effecting your grades and you talk about depression and binge eating. Celiac can be directly related to issues with thought and mood. I don't know if your symptoms are due to gluten but I do know that your symptoms are familiar to a lot of us here and the best way to figure out if gluten is an issue is to delete it strictly for a couple of months after your testing is done.

so my blood test came negative. Transglutaminase level is 0.919, and I think above 7 is abnormal, so I'm far from it :/