glutenfree4life?

Gluten Free For 8 Weeks

Rate this topic

Feb 28 marked the day that I had been gluten free for 8 weeks. My rashes have disappeared, gas improved, headaches gone within the last 2 weeks (these headaches were at the bottom of my skull at the back of my head just above the neck and also gave neck pain and my left eye puffy a lot in the morning!), fatty "stuff" in stool is gone,stool is normal again, fatigue lifted in the last 2 weeks... On March 1 I went to a gastroenterologist and she told me I need to go back on a gluten diet to test for celiac. On March 1 on went out for the free pancakes at IHOP! Felt fine! On Mar 2 I ate gluten and still felt fine! Mar 3 the walls came tumbling down! I had the chills like I was getting the flu and my horrible headache at the base of my head was back including the puffy left eye with a headache above it! There is no way I can eat gluten for the next month. Today How important is it that I get this test that tests my small intestine? Is there any reason for me to go through with this? The gastro dr did take a blood test and my results are not in yet. Can I just go to an allergist and get my skin pricked? It seems obvious that I have a gluten allergy. On Mar 3 I went back on a gluten free diet and today Mar 4 my headache is almost gone. Help!

Just simply tell your gastroenterologist that you are not willing to make yourself sick again just to prove a point. I told mine that from the jump and I meant it. I was much better within 24 hours of being gluten free and there is no way I would willingly make myself sick again for any reason.

Welcome to the Forum!

If you have had dramatic dietary response on the diet, it's clear that you have a gluten intolerance. Whether or not you have Celiac...(your blood panel may indicate that) or a gluten allergy, both require an elimination of gluten.

You have been tested (awaiting results) and feel better eating without gluten. No need to be miserable for further testing.

BUT, you know it makes you ill when you eat it. Don't eat it and feel better. :)

The gastro dr did take a blood test and my results are not in yet.

If you had a blood test done after being gluten free for 8 weeks your test will most likely be negative, you have to be eating a good amount of gluten for it to show up on a blood test.