Jubilea

Tissue Abnormallities And Celiac

Rate this topic

Hi.

I've had problems with my skin and mucous membranes for quite a while now (severe rash, abnormal pap smears, chest/sinus congestion) and wonder if these things might go away now that I'm going to start following a Gluten free diet. Any one out there have experience or information about this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Judy

Hello and welcome to the board.

There are many parts of the body's lining, both internal and external, that seem to be affected by gluten. External - Dermatitis Herpetiformis, eczema, psoriasis, hives and itching, dry skin. Internal (some of these are anecdotal): mouth ulcers, asthma/sinuses, UTI's (where things cling to the bladder wall and cause infection), stomach and small intestine (of course), ovaries (PCOS), uterus (fertility - perhaps eggs don't attach or stay attached to the lining?- just musing here in response to your question, no evidence for this). I think it is reasonable for you to hope for some resolution of some of your problems on a gluten free diet.

I've been on a strict gluten free diet for years now. In October I went on a week-long vacation and definitely got glutened more times than I could count on one hand. I was absolutely miserable by the end of it...my stomach swelled to the size of a ball and I had severe C. Well, one week later I had my annual pap smear and it was the first time in my life that it came back abnormal. I was scared...couldn't imagine what was wrong. I had to get a biopsy done. Thank God nothing was wrong. I still blame that vacation for the abnormality. Not sure what gluten can and can't do, but for me, it definitely seems to throw mnay things off.