Luisa2552

celiac disease And Attention Deficit Disorder

Rate this topic

Hello all.

I am a 45 year old woman diagnosed with celiac disease 4 years ago. I have been happily living gluten free (with the occasional accidental glutening). Recently (after many years of struggling) my 11 year old daughter had been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder. She and her older sister were screened for celiac disease but negative. They have never had and GI issues. I have read a lot about the celiac connection to ADD, but can this be her only symptom. Should I have her screened again or just go gluten-free? Because I do all the cooking, our house is mostly gluten-free, but her sandwich bread, cereals and such are not. These would be easy enough to change as there are so many gluten-free options out there now. In fact a local store/bakery is dedicated gluten-free!

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks so much,

Sara

I see no one has replied but I still want to share my experience in case someone has a child in the same boat (especially with a family history of celiac disease/gluten intolerance). My daughter has been gluten-free for a week now and the difference in her is amazing. She is no longer a grouchy, irritable girl. She is happy and energetic and has not had a headache all week (used to get them fairly regularly....sometimes migraines). She says she's able to focus a bit better in class. She is behind in school so she has some catching up to do, bit being gluten-free and having an IEP at school to help her will get her back on track in no time. I don't need a blood test to tell me that my daughter in gluten intolerant.....

I'm sorry I missed your post. I'm so glad you tried the gluten free.

My son was ADD and that was his only symptom besides asthma and I didn't know gluten could do that. Both went away but until he had lived with them from 7 to age 16. If I had only known!

Thank you for posting how she is doing. I think it is wonderful and hope your story helps others too. My son's attention span and mood are both greatly improved and the asthma appears to be gone too.

Oh the things that gluten can do....I wish all parents knew.