ship

Testing...what To Expect

Rate this topic

My 11 yr. old daughter is going in for an Endoscopy (sp) on Monday and I was wondering about the recovery. Is she going to be in pain afterwards? Will she wake up fine?

The reason I ask is because when my son was 2 he had to have his Lymph nodes on his neck biopsied. He was terrified when he woke up. He screamed and thrashed around in my arms for what seemed like forever. He wasn't fully awake even. I worry that my daughter will react the same way. Also, if they are going to biopsy her, will she have pain or will she be ready to go to school the following day.

Thank you all in advance for your help. We are new to this and very nervous.

My 7 yr old had hers in April. We had a great experience. Once she was taken in she was back out in 45 minute so don't go far you will be wanted in recovery room. She woke up groggy we leaned over the bed so she could get hug and as soon as she was completely awake they gently but quickly removed IV. A few minutes later she was sucking on a popsicle because she had a dry mouth. She had a mildly sore throat but not so much that we had a lite lunch on the way home. She had a tiny belly ache and mildly sore throat that night and was fine next day, went to school no problem. She tried to play the sore throat card for many popsicles and I gave in for 2 days then told her that was enough.

Every child is different though but for us, overall not bad at all.

Thank you for your help. It helps put my mind at ease. This is totally unexpected.

I think it all depends on the kid and the timing. Chris was squeezed in for his endo and therefore he was at the end of the day vs. being in the morning like he typically would for his age. Hoping they'd get him in earlier, they didn't want him eating or drinking after midnight (which included no ADHD meds). His biopsy wasn't until 2:30, so he was starving. When he woke up, he was a little difficult to wake and he woke up miserable. I think he was just really hungry, but he was crying and screaming and complaining about his hand. It was very bruised where they put one of the needles in. We finally got him calmed down enough to get dressed and go grab some food and he eat pretty much everything in site and then he was fine.

I'm glad he was squeezed in because otherwise, he would have had to wait another month to have the endo, but the timing make it awful.

He had the endo done on a Monday afternoon, I think, and he was back at school the next day.

My 11 yr. old daughter is going in for an Endoscopy (sp) on Monday and I was wondering about the recovery. Is she going to be in pain afterwards? Will she wake up fine?

The reason I ask is because when my son was 2 he had to have his Lymph nodes on his neck biopsied. He was terrified when he woke up. He screamed and thrashed around in my arms for what seemed like forever. He wasn't fully awake even. I worry that my daughter will react the same way. Also, if they are going to biopsy her, will she have pain or will she be ready to go to school the following day.

Thank you all in advance for your help. We are new to this and very nervous.