SED

Really Interfering With My Life Now...could This Be Celiac?

Rate this topic

For almost the past year now, I will occasionally (about once a month) have a day where I get up as normal, eat breakfast and then within 10 minutes I have horrible stomach cramping with bowel movements. Then I will feel fine for about 5-10 minutes until another wave of horrible cramps washes over me. In between all of this I am trying to get dressed for work, get my child ready for school. I will drive, white knuckled and bent over to work. Work is next to impossible because I am a healthcare provider. Leaving the room every 5 minutes so I can run to the bathroom with cramping and diarrhea is horrible to say the least.

I have extensive endometriosis and it has been found on my colon + I am hypothyroid. I met with a new GI MD and he felt this was a mix of the endo and the IBS and put me on Levbid. The Levbid does seem to control the symptoms somewhat, but not all the way. These episodes are worse now and the last three times have involved vomiting at least once. I am sooo worn out afterwards. The most recent episode came right after I ate two pieces of whole wheat toast with peanut butter.

I would ask your doctor to do a celiac panel. You can ask your regular doctor or the GI. Do not go gluten free until after you have testing done. If your blood tests are positive they usually will want to do an endo. After you are done with all testing you should do a trial of the diet to see if it helps no matter what the results as false negatives are not uncommon. If you are positive on testing then it is advised that all first degree relatives also be tested, that would be your children, brothers and sisters and parents.