tomtom009

Is It Possible 2 Have Fructise Malabsorption And Not Celiacs

Rate this topic

I've been gluten free for one year. My only symptom (over the last 7 years or so) has ALWAYS been just bloating with NO pain or diarrhea. Since going gluten-free my bloating has gotten better but not cured by any means. Now I'm trying a FODMAP kinda diet, cut down on the fructose considerable and I'm much better and fast. Not sure if it will last though since this diet is torture. I know I've been "glutened" with CC over the year, possibly several times and always the only thing that happens is I get a little bloaty, no big D or anything, then it goes away a few hours later.

Could it be I just have the malabsorption and NOT celiac? I did test negative to celiac *BUT* I had already been gluten-free for 3 weeks so it was expected.

thanks!

Wheat is forbidden on a strict no-fructose diet, so it can mimic celiac disease somewhat. Anything that has a lot of fructans can also lead to problems if you have fructose malabsorption. I think rye is okay in terms of fructans so maybe try 100% rye bread to see how you react to that?

I've been gluten free for one year. My only symptom (over the last 7 years or so) has ALWAYS been just bloating with NO pain or diarrhea. Since going gluten-free my bloating has gotten better but not cured by any means. Now I'm trying a FODMAP kinda diet, cut down on the fructose considerable and I'm much better and fast. Not sure if it will last though since this diet is torture. I know I've been "glutened" with CC over the year, possibly several times and always the only thing that happens is I get a little bloaty, no big D or anything, then it goes away a few hours later.

Could it be I just have the malabsorption and NOT celiac? I did test negative to celiac *BUT* I had already been gluten-free for 3 weeks so it was expected.

thanks!

As someone else on the fodmap diet I have come to realise how many symptoms can be caused by fructose and fodmaps. For myself I know that gluten is a problem, and I feel that my gluten sensitivity caused the digestive damage that then caused fodmap problems.

I do think it's possible that someone with significant fodmap reactions could mistake this for gluten sensitivity. The suggestion above is a good one. Get your system functioning well, and when you are feeling good introduce just a little rye or spelt (whichever is best for fructans, I can't remember), and then see if any symptoms come back. If they don't, you may be a fodmap, not gluten sensitive.

Good luck with the diet, I know it's hard work but it is worth it in the end. If you are finding it hard, have you joined the yahoo group 'fructose malabsorption australia' (open to all nationalities), and do you have the fadmap guide from Monash university? They are the best resources out there imho.

HI, I HAVE THE SAME QUESTION THAT YOU HAVE , I THINK I MAY HAVE FRUTOSE MALABSORTION RATHER THAN CELIAC, COULD YOU HELP ME WITH THE LOW FODMAP DIET.

I promise to share the results with everybody in the forum.

I have gas-bloating farting, diarrea (stools are not solid but not just water) fadigue (i have been suffering for 4 years) and i got tested negative for celiac on blood, but got some MARSH 1 on my biopsy.

Lets see.

thanks for the attention

Hi MURILLO.

Pathology The classic pathology changes of coeliac disease in the small bowel are categorised by the "Marsh classification":[60]

Marsh stage 0: normal mucosa

Marsh stage 1: increased number of intra-epithelial lymphocytes, usually exceeding 20 per 100 enterocytes

Marsh stage 2: proliferation of the crypts of Lieberkuhn

Marsh stage 3: partial or complete villous atrophy

Marsh stage 4: hypoplasia of the small bowel architecture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease

You could have both.

Hope this helps.